• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1976 Mintgrun Begins

Poon

On the first panel I made for my '72, I used some 3m spray adhesive. On the second panel, I used no adhesive. I'm happier either way, it looks the same, as long as you pull the vinyl tight while stapling.

The only thing I'd be worried about with the adhesive is how it would hold up to heat. My parcel tray sits in the sun for a few hours, because it's parked outside at work and at home and it gets DAMN hot. Not really sure how the adhesive would act.

I'll probably end up making another panel, after I get my rear speakers fitted, but I'm not looking forward to cutting into the metal to do that.

-Andrew

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while, but I've been really busy with school, so I havnt' made much progress. The mintgrun has been parked in the garage for now, and I'm driving me 1980 320is for the winter.

I've pulled the windshield on the mintgrun, because the gasket was cracked/peeling, and starting to rust.

Photobucket

It was actually pretty scary pulling the windshield, because I was scared I was going to break it. I sat in the passenger seat, reclined it all the way back and pushed with both my feet on the glass. Even though most of the gasket had been cut away, someone either used a glue to hold the windshield in, or 32 years of sitting next to each other created a pretty strong bond!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm pretty pleased with the results though. There was quite a bit less rust than I thought(all surface) and I'm happy I won't have to be doing any welding. When I purchased this car in March there was just a small little crack in the windshield gasket, and in the half a year that I drove it daily, it had gotten far worse. I'm glad I caught this early, and didn't let it get out of hand.

I've been having too much fun with the LSD in the 320is, so I picked one up for the 2002.

Photobucket

Here's a picture of my winter beater.

Photobucket

When I'm finished with the windshield, I'll take more pictures and do a proper write up about repairing it. After I'm done the windshield, I'll be pulling up the carpet, and removing the sound deadener, and fixing the drivers side floorboard. Then in goes the por-15, dynamat, and carpet.

I'll try and update more often.

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit