• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess another one bites the dust...

Mars

That is really bad news, Mars. Sounds like it was a real piece of history.

Hope that it is salvageable and that you can bring it back to life. Stock early cars are becoming harder to find each day.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

V in V one of these years. But don't lose hope, it may be salvagable...I've had several friends whose cars were in shop fires that were repaired to be like new---not to mention a friend's SAAB 900 that was in the 2000 Xenia tornado and was treated VERY badly by the storm--and fixed like new.

Keep the faith.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That sucks. That was a great example of an early 1600. I remember talking over all the early 1600 stuff with you when you bought it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

D

If your life is dull, perhaps your car is too new and you're not driving far enough...

1969 1600 florida (Moonglow)

Man that sucks... Oh well I hope you get to use the insurance money to rescue some other BMW. There are a number of recent sales of nice 2002's in the over $20.000 range for insurance comparison. Good luck.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It is truly a loss of some early 02 history. Good luck with insurance. I have a small cache of parts if you decide to rebuild. Let me know if you need anything.

Karl

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

You could rename it Phoenix.

Taken, but I suppose this would be a more appropriate and literal translation.

I feel for you man, this is absolutely awful. I hope the insurance company realizes the rarity of this car. How many 67 1600-2's were built anyways?

Best of luck.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

So VERY Sorry to see this Mars, as I'm not on the board that much these days. I believe I can relate to your pain, although I lost most all of my '02 parts in my fire, I at least still have my cars.

It's a gut-wretching feeling I know. I literally "feel your pain".

If there's anything I can do, I'm not that far away...just say the word.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

really unfortunate. sorry to hear this.

unless someone else comes forth with an early 6 volt car on the east coast it appears that the standard bearer is bmw-jeff on the west coast.

i hope you can rebuild. best wishes to you...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

mars my heart is on the floor. that was one of the most beautiful 1600's that i've ever seen. when i first saw it i was completely blown away with how excellent and example it was.

deepest condolences man. that car was a truly amazing example of automotive history.

-dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

I'm sure you weren't storing your car there on a permanent basis. I'm sure it was there temporaily while you did some work to your garage!

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Thanks guys. Thanks for all the nice words. I know some of you have gone through similar experiences in your lives.

I'm sort of in a weird mood about it all. Almost numb or indifferent to it.

I spoke to the Fire Marshall today and I filed a claim with my insurance company. I am looking for their guidance on what is required from me at this point. It will be several days before I can even get in there and look at the car to see how badly damaged it was.

I'll keep you posted.