• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting discovery..My car is a 73 but MFG in Oct 13 1972

Armond

I came across an e-mail from Mobile Traditions saying my car was manufactured on OCT 13 1972 and delivered to Hoffman Motors on Oct 17,1972. It's currenlty registered as a year 73 and I have 73 stuff on the car. Hmm.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Hey, neat! Mine was built on the same day.

"The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2762709 was manufactured on October 13th, 1972 and delivered on October 20th, 1972." per Andreas Harz

Having a '73 built in '72 was fairly common because the model year started before the calendar year. Just a function of the 'model year' cycle. What's your VIN?

Karl

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Sept, 1972 and continued into August, 73. The factory goes by calendar year for their production figures, not model year. My '73 was assembled on 17 Dec 72.

'73 VINs begin around 2584913 (2762630 for tii's) so I'll bet your VIN is fairly close to the 4913 number as they produced an average of about 800 per month.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

was at VIN 2762630. That car exists here in Dayton and is being restored.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

was at VIN 2762630. That car exists here in Dayton and is being restored.

mike

Sadly, VIN 2762530, a mere 100 cars away from the transition point you stated, ended up at a PicknPull in Fairfield California.

it was a virtually rust-free Malaga sunroof model with original snorkeless nose and relatively straight body panels. by the time i saw it all the tii goodies were gone. i made an attempt to purchase it, but Pick n Pull kept it in the yard long enough for others to remove my recently reinstalled subassemblies needed to tow it home. it would have had a salvage title anyway. memories of that car and how someone could have allowed it to end up in a salvage yard haunt me to this day.

i thought the symmetry in VIN numbers of this thread was interesting. truely, i'm an 02 geek....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

October 13, 1972 was Friday the 13th. Same day the Uruguayan Rugby Team crashed in the Andes.

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

October 13, 1972 was Friday the 13th. Same day the Uruguayan Rugby Team crashed in the Andes.

You my friend have waaaayyyyyy toooooo much time on your hands.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

it doesnt take much time to Google stuff....2min max

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

Guest Anonymous
I came across an e-mail from Mobile Traditions saying my car was manufactured on OCT 13 1972 and delivered to Hoffman Motors on Oct 17,1972. It's currenlty registered as a year 73 and I have 73 stuff on the car. Hmm.

Hmmm. An amazing revelation.

I need to check the date my car was built. 2376857 (Phoenix) was built in December of '75, but was sold as a '76. I'd like to know the actual date - how did you get that Armond?

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog