• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'77 320i SALVAGING?

O=00=O

I have been nagging my buddy for weeks to give me his p.o.s. '77 320i cause i knew he'd practically give i to me and i could chop it up and use/sell most of the car to upgrade my 76 o2. hes now finally warming up to the thought, but a few questions arise before i take it off his hands...

1. a stock 320i has an m10, correct? yea i know the FI is crap

2. do they all have LSD, if not how to check if it does? wheel spin test?

3. if its a 4 speed its the same as the 4speed in my o2 right?

4. what else could i use and or sell? be creative ive got a whole warehouse to go chop shop on it

'76 SiennaBraun 2002

On the search for a '70-'74

SMOG ruins all the fun!

I have been nagging my buddy for weeks to give me his p.o.s. '77 320i cause i knew he'd practically give i to me and i could chop it up and use/sell most of the car to upgrade my 76 o2. hes now finally warming up to the thought, but a few questions arise before i take it off his hands...

1. a stock 320i has an m10, correct? yea i know the FI is crap

2. do they all have LSD, if not how to check if it does? wheel spin test?

3. if its a 4 speed its the same as the 4speed in my o2 right?

4. what else could i use and or sell? be creative ive got a whole warehouse to go chop shop on it

1. Engine is basically the same as 76 2002, but with CIS injection.

2. LSDs are much less common on early (77-79) than later 320s, but early cars have 3.64 ratio.

3. 4 speed is very similar, but uses a different design slave cylinder.

4. Front Seats, front hubs and vented rotors, rear brakes are like 2002 Turbo, foglight switch, metal radiator, alternator

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

i don't know much about the topic but i've seen folks modify the early 320i intake manifold for the Megasquirt projects. i think it's a much cooler appearance than the more typical 318i manifold. if it were cheap enough i'd snag it and store that stuff in a corner " for use someday"....

don't know how much is needed though. gives the conversion a more tii appearance

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

ahh the brakes are the only thing i wasnt aware of(or thought about) from a 320 and my o2 could really use it(its all go and no stop at the moment)

it has recaros that are in definite need of re uppostery but salvageable im sure

INTAKE MANIFOLD!?! really?, i plan on pulling the 320's engine and plan to put in mega squirt II/ford edis so would this manifold work?

radiator and alternator obviously since i plane to drop in the entire engine

as far as the stearing, is it power in a 77 320i? didnt ask my buddy and dont know a thing about 320, even if not its still a useable upgrade/ how much is useable for an o2?

so anyway im not sure exactly what is in good shape on the car but i plan to tear it down as much as possibly possible, so if anything comes to mind that i can yank out of a 320 for a o2 i wanna know about it. and all the rest of the salvage i will more than likely sell/trade/giveaway on this forum so if anyone is in need let me know

'76 SiennaBraun 2002

On the search for a '70-'74

SMOG ruins all the fun!

MOST e21s do not have power steering, it was an option but it's pretty rare. The steering is rack and pinion which is nice, I think there are a few people on this board who are using it to convert their 02s to R&P - It's definitely not a drop-in thing though.

some other stuff:

the inside mirror is larger than that used in the '02, so gives a better rearward view--smaller blind spot.

a nifty square analog quartz clock in the dashboard that's adaptable

the pushbutton fog light and other dash switches

wiper relay has the 5 sec delay feature that can be adapted to the later 02s pretty easily if you have the proper wiper switch

think the turn signal flasher is the same as an 02

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite