• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof racks....experiences?

ClayW

IMGP8819.jpg

This one was in another poster's pics..

I'd like to have one just in case, but I'd hate to get one that was too modern or universal looking.

Maybe a more "vintage VW" look:

vintage_bug_rack.jpg

In the image below, you can see how the VW racks attach to the drip rails. I suppose that if nobody makes one for a reasonable price, I could get to work on custom one.

roofrack3.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I have a set of 20-yo Yakamas that I use all the time on the 02. Not the vintage look you are looking for but quite practical. I can haul a load of canoes, furniture, seats, etc and pop them in the trunk when not actively hauling, to cut down the wind resistance. Really handy to have along.

That said, those vintage vw racks would look great on an 02.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

Thule base, with Thule basket, and Thule straps

don't forget - the capacity of any load up on the roof must be less than 120 lbs

theVW racks are great but elevate the load - not good for low center

of gravity. Your goal is to hug the roof line as close as possible

for lower wind resistance

19762002mitTHULEin2001.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Yakima. Great options to haul stuff and very versatile. Amazing how much lumber I've carried. Even a filing cabinet.

IMO, the Yakima's look period correct, especially on a squaretail.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Scott Sturdy is the Undisputed King of roof racks. If we are lucky, maybe he'll post up a picture or two of his famous "Jagermeister" rack.

While we're on the topic, someone at V@V had an Isetta-style rack on his/her trunk. T'was a beautiful red car. I kept wondering by, hoping to catch the owner, but I never connected up. I thought that was a pretty cool set-up; looked good IMHO.

While we're on the topic, someone at V@V had an Isetta-style rack on his/her trunk. T'was a beautiful red car. I kept wondering by, hoping to catch the owner, but I never connected up. I thought that was a pretty cool set-up; looked good IMHO.

I was thinking about that car this morning while hanging out with the local British car group (they get together every Saturday,mostly to work on their Lucas electrics). One of the MGB's had a similar rack which I thought might work on an '02.

Maybe Moss Motors or one of the other MGB parts places has them.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Here's a link for VW roof racks: http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=roof+rack&Search1=Search

The Flat-4 powder coated one is good. Don't plan on leaving your rack on the car all the time or the wood will deteriorate fast. Might be good to polyurethane the wood or something when it's new for better weather protection. Also don't worry about ruining the silver powder coating after you are done with the modification because Krylon silver matches it exactly.

You want the type-1 (beetle) rack. A little cuttin', a little weldin', a little bendin' of the legs to match them to the drip rail, and there ya go.

Scott

post-1050-13667590733294_thumb.jpg

post-1050-13667590734355_thumb.jpg

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

the wood will deteriorate fast

We can fix that. I don't know if you know, but I hand-built a sailboat, and have designs on a Chris Craft. There are a lot of wood products for boats that will take care of the problem/issue. Remind me the next time we're together and we'll leaf through the West Marine catalog, or else epoxy coat the wood to protect it (it's a special epoxy coat that a friend of mine markets through Chesapeake Light Craft).

And for the English majors in the crowd, yes, I know the difference between wondering, and wandering. I meant to say about the red car, I kept wandering by - but I wonder who owns it?