• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof racks....experiences?

ClayW

Where can I get a Thule rack? I'm picking up a 2002 in a week or so and want to get some racks for it. I like the Thule racks the best. I want to get the basic rack and mountain bike adapters for now. Eventually want to get kayak racks and a basket. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

1991 M5, 1989 Toyota Pickup 2wd (Old Blue), '72 Deuce coming soon!

CSBSig1.jpg

AC Schnitzer whore!

Where can I get a Thule rack? I'm picking up a 2002 in a week or so and want to get some racks for it. I like the Thule racks the best. I want to get the basic rack and mountain bike adapters for now. Eventually want to get kayak racks and a basket. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

It appears that most REI, Sport Chalet, etc. carry them. Bike shops, Kayak dealers also carry them. Check the Thule site.. http://www.thuleracks.com/dealer.asp#results Google is your friend!

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I understand how to use google, however when I went on Thule's website, they did not list a fitment available for the 2002. Do you know if this is discontinued, or do you think if I go to REI, they will be able to order it for me? I figured someone on here may know, but it looks like I will just have to go to REI and find out for myself. Can anyone be of a bit more help before I partake on what may be a wild goose chase?

Cheers,

Brian

1991 M5, 1989 Toyota Pickup 2wd (Old Blue), '72 Deuce coming soon!

CSBSig1.jpg

AC Schnitzer whore!

I understand how to use google, however when I went on Thule's website, they did not list a fitment available for the 2002. Do you know if this is discontinued, or do you think if I go to REI, they will be able to order it for me? I figured someone on here may know, but it looks like I will just have to go to REI and find out for myself. Can anyone be of a bit more help before I partake on what may be a wild goose chase?

Cheers,

Brian

Good point....my apologies. I have had a set of racks for 30 years, assumed that they still listed 02s. The standard rain gutter mount listed for the 76 BMW 3 series should work fine. (300 Gutter Foot pack/LB 50 load bars $194.00) Looks very similar to mine, just newer version, 5 inch roof clearance.

300_365h.jpg300.jpg

They make taller foot packs, but I don't think that is necessary unless you want the rack to mount up higher. You then have to pick out which bike mounting you want. They have a variety of accessories that attach to the load bars of the basic rack. I believe even Yakima accessories will attach to the load bars.

Hope that helps, good luck..

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

• 2 months later...
Here's a link for VW roof racks: http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=roof+rack&Search1=Search

The Flat-4 powder coated one is good. Don't plan on leaving your rack on the car all the time or the wood will deteriorate fast. Might be good to polyurethane the wood or something when it's new for better weather protection. Also don't worry about ruining the silver powder coating after you are done with the modification because Krylon silver matches it exactly.

You want the type-1 (beetle) rack. A little cuttin', a little weldin', a little bendin' of the legs to match them to the drip rail, and there ya go.

Scott

hello!

how much: "A little cuttin', a little weldin', a little bendin' of the legs to match them to the drip rail..." did you have to do?

Thule base, with Thule basket, and Thule straps

don't forget - the capacity of any load up on the roof must be less than 120 lbs

theVW racks are great but elevate the load - not good for low center

of gravity. Your goal is to hug the roof line as close as possible

for lower wind resistance

19762002mitTHULEin2001.jpg

Thule rules!! there OG gutter racks have always been the goods!!

Anybody check Autohome dot com Rooftop tents.

I wander what they look like on top? The rooftop tent on some thules?

Photos or Photoshop anybody?

cd your car is like the 02 mad max. I love it!!

• 3 weeks later...