• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA Blue Plate Registration Question....

tsteph12

Have a question regarding a rumor heard about being able to register CA blue plates on a car that currently does not have them on file. Specifically, let's say one purchases a '71 2002 out of state (AZ) and wishes to then register it in CA. If this someone has an unregistered set of front and rear six character blue plates that have fallen off the system, can they go to the DMV and claim the plates are "personalized", ie vanity plates and request they be now registered on this 02? Thanks in advance for any info.

T.R.

unfortunately CA currently will not let you have a personalized plate that uses six characters grouped three letters-three numbers or vice versa. If you can prove that that specific car was once registered in CA with the exact blue plates in your possesion it may be possible to reregister with those plates. What ever you do don't let go of those plates and don't let the DMV have them, you will never get them back. PS = do a search, there have been several threads relevant to your topic.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

i was provided a photo of one of my 02's with its original blue-plates, unfortuantely some scumbag tore them off for the registration stickers at some point and the person i bought the car from surrendered the remaining plate. the DMV said 'no dice' to me reclaiming the original tag.

anyhow, to address your question, it's similar to what i've considered doable. verify through the CA DMV website that your letter/number combination is not taken. btw, IIRC, zero's are not available, but the letter O is. if it's not then you could ask for a personalized set of plates and you'll be forevermore be beholden to paying the yearly vanity tax to keep them, or not pay and risk someone else grabbing that combo (what are the chances??). then simply substitute your original tags for the white ones you'll receive in the mail.

i was considering doing this to regain the original tags from my car but i'd have to have the original blue plates reproduced and the time, expense and effort just didn't add up. in your instance, it's probably feasible.

just a thought for your consideration...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I 09 June I think you will be able to use black plates as long as they were the orig. plates for the car and you can prove it. I have mine ready and waiting. Blue plates I dont know but some of the laws are changing so it is worth looking in to.

Scott

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

FWIW, these guys can make you a blue or black plate and have them just imprint you numbers. You can use your next registration tags on them. :)

http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/california_147.html

Damn! You are good for something.

I'll tell your wife not to kick you to the curb.

Cris

Too bad they won't ship CA plates to CA... But I think we here have friends in other states who'll help. :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Beginning in July of 2009 they will add Black Plates to the YOM program but the car has to be a `69 or earlier. Has anyone else noticed how expensive these plates are becoming on eBay? That is why. Also, it looks kinda dumb, in my mind at least, to have a black plate with a 123ABC configuration from a blue plate. Just my 2 cents.

CA DMV will not issue a personalized plate that even resembles a ABC123 or 123ABC configuration even if you use an O for a 0 or vice versa. Go to their website and try, you can search on available configurations there. I even went to the AAA to see if they could submit a request but the systems locks it out. Licenseplates.tv will not ship to CA but they will take your credit card billing address from CA so just ship it to a friend out of state.

A car from another state with no CA DMV history can be done but is still difficult. The DMV will want a prior title or registration document from CA showing they were once on the vehicle. AAA is a little easier to fool, the plate still needs to be clear with no history. Police officers can sign off on VIN verifications if you have a friend or neighbor as well.

I tried for quite some time to get a blue plate on my coupe that lost its blue plate when it went to Seattle for two years. I finally settled on a personalized plate (since they were offered in the early 70's). When the white one arrived I put my new stickers on the blue plate I bought from licenseplates.tv. More creative minds will figure out other options.

post-9115-13667590819221_thumb.jpg

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Chris,

What is the gauge of the steel used and how is the quality? Does it look fake?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Thanks for the link Armond.

I would love to get B&Y Cali plates on my 67.

I still have both B&Y Plates from my totaled 69

Been out of the system since 1990.

I have seen the hot rod guys take a 7 digit plate or vanity plate and have it painted B&Y

is the price for 1 plate ?

Is there any way to find out what your original plate # was?

Will DMV tell you?

I was thinking about having my 7 digit nk white plate painted- but California is not embossed into the plate.

I have 1 Original plate for my 73- should get a 2nd one made to insure against a cop giving me a ticket for no front plate.

Thanks- My sister lives in Oregon

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

I had the vanity plate on my '68 Camaro done in B&Y. It turned out pretty nice.

Cost a fair amount being that I had a pinstriper do the lettering and had the plate powdercoated.

l_5.jpg

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Armond,

Send me an e-mail. The repro plates are aluminum and they don't paint the back side. All plates were steel until the late 123LXX series or there abouts. At that time the spacing on the word California also spread out a bit from the earlier style. Two plates are needed so if one is steel and one aluminum it depends how astute the person who approves the request is, given that they are clear.

Those with clear Black plates are in luck next year if their car is `69 or earlier. Black plates weren't available as personalized, that started in the early 70's. Blue was used, with 7 characters, up through the early 80's when the newer white plates were also being issued, you could take your pick.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix