• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice about finding a 1976 2002 a home

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My baby, Eddie, needs a new home. Unfortunately, he's in rough shape. I recently bought a Mini, and the BMW used-car manager had said he'd take Eddie and fix him up. But that was over a month ago and he hasn't returned my followup calls & e-mails.

I would like Eddie to get back on the road, rather than used for parts--he loved to run. My question is how best to achieve that? The "rough shape" includes not being cranked over for about 7 years (although he was running good before that); body rot in rear quarter panels; door trim problem caused by an odd alignment; and a totally shot driver's seat. "Free to good home" seems an invitation for canibilization. I was thinking that maybe it would work better for Eddie if I had my mechanic replace all the fluids/seals & get him cranked up again and that I get seat repair kits/horsehair pads and fix the seats & then offer him for sale at the cost of doing that.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Liz in Woodbridge, Virginia

Guest Anonymous

Sorry for the harsh advice, but any "rough shape" car will take at a minumum $10G to fix both mechanicals and body. A nice non-tii can be purchased for less. The economics don't work for Eddie, unless you find someone who wants to personally restore the car. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

all advice welcome - harsh or otherwise. I do love that car, and I always meant to restore him, but I'm finding that I don't have the skill or ability. Maybe I need to give it a go anyway.

Guest Anonymous

Ratrod it! SLowly get it running when you have the time with a book and the use of this forum and drive it. ROT? Paint over it with some good stop rust rattle can paint. Make it run good but look like hell. These cars are so fun to drive why the hell not. Where do you live? If your not in California or other smog test citys yank all that emmissions crap off it and drive that sucker. I say put a battery in it, spray some engine start in the carb and crank her over, hold the key until it starts. But change the oil and drain the gas tank first. Check the water. Sell it to some kid for his first car if you don't want to deal with it. I just gave my son a 75 2002 that didn't run and said in two years if you wanna drive make it run. One month it took him without my help and the car runs good, now he's excited about it and respects the hell out of it. Telling me everyday he's gonna have the coolest car in Highschool.

Liz, I'm currently redoing my sister-in-laws 2002 that seems to have had the same life yours did. I live in Fairfax so I'm about 1/2 hour from you. I can come by and give my less than expert opinion and even bring my digital camera to take pics. Most of my experience is with Fiats but all 70s vintage European cars living on the east coast have the same issues.

Email if interested

carlfriedman@verizon.net

When you have a chance please send pics, I'm in NC and have a friend that is trying to find one in the condition I think yours is now. He has the means and skills to put it back on the road.

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ

Free to a good home at my house would gaurantee the car would NOT get parted out and every effort would be made to keep it "alive" and roadworthy.

I did this with another 2002 that was for sale locally. It was cheap and I knew anybody else but me would chop it up and part it out. I got it running and pretty decent looking .

Scott Sturdy

Winston-salem, NC

scottsturdy@yahoo.com

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

WOW! I am overwhelmed and overjoyed. I had to go to an appointment and when I got back to the forum... I am *so* glad I found this FAQ. Not only are y'all giving me hope of finding a good home for Eddie, but two of y'all have offered to come take a look first hand. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! He's been wonderful to me, and the thought of him not getting back on the road was really depressing me. Hope is back :)

As soon as I get pictures, I'll post them.

Thanks again,

Liz