• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer's Advice - 1968 1600

So it's been a while. You may remember I had bought a taiga 02 a little more than a year and a half ago. I think I've come a long way since then, and wound up driving a 1972 triumph spitfire for a while. Thinking of getting back behind the wheel of some bavarian beauty. And so....

...the hunt for my 2008 California Melee Car begins!

I'm heading out the door in a little bit to check out this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/710840366.html

The interior looks pretty shabby, and he sent me a few pictures of rusted out trim. Obviously I'll check the usual suspects for additional deeper rust/bondo.

Here's his response to my inquiry via email:

here is some more info about the car it is registered as a 68 1600. the motor and trans are out of a 72 2002.i think the original color was red. it has a few electrical problems:

the tailights do not work but the blinkers and brake lights do.

the wipers do not work, could be a switch, the motor or a bad wire

the speedometer does not work, the tach, fuel and temp intermittently either all work fine, or all do not work at all.

i am not going to put anymore time in this car because i am trying to finish my 72 2002, so i have not looked into any of these issues at all. could be simple or not.but i have been driving it everyday for two plus weeks with no issues other than the sunset.

Assuming everything else checks out, what do you think a reasonable offer would be? I'm assuming the electrical/speedo problems are relatively easy fixes...I'd probably have to spend a decent chunk of money on the interior alone, carpet kits, recaros, etc.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks!

Bradley in Santa Cruz

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

'97 M3 (HWY 17 - Forced Early Retirement)

If I were on the West Coast, considering what's available, I would NEVER buy a rusted 2002 (unless it was some uber rare model). 1600's do not seem to be that rare out there. Why not wait for a rust-free example and save yourself a (certain) headache?

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Ah, but there's the rub.

My budget outright for a car is 2K tops. Not to mention any repairs/upgrades I may want to make. I may have to compromise a bit in some cases. :(

'97 M3 (HWY 17 - Forced Early Retirement)

black plates....

YUMMY

i like, very much. but without the original motor i'd value it less.

$700-1000 depending on amount of rust. with a better interior and original motor i'd spend up to $1200

good luck on your search

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

it has a later 1 piece dash, and appears to have a later steering wheel and squarelight nose, altho it's hard to tell in the picture.

Check very carefully for rust in all the usual places--black primer can hide a lotta bondo and rust--altho the black plate indicates it's spent its life in California (on the beach, perhaps?)

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite