• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone restored stock '72 steel wheels

saaron

I think I have to do it...my current steel wheels are old, crummy, hard to get to balance...

I have a set I got with the car in '87 that is in better shape from a "wear and tear" perspective, but they look awful. Anyone ever primed, painted, etc, etc? What products did you use? I want to go the DIY route.

Thanks in advance, I do appreciate it.

Scott in Cincy

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Those wheels are pretty inexpensive; I would consider replacement since the balancing issues may indicate that the wheels are out of round. Considering the time, effort, and cost to restore, I would suggest replacing.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Those wheels are pretty inexpensive; I would consider replacement since the balancing issues may indicate that the wheels are out of round. Considering the time, effort, and cost to restore, I would suggest replacing.

Do you know of any good sources - I would consider buying them new if I could get them. I guess I could post over on WTB section of the site.

I was just in DC over the weekend on a family vacation - we had a great time there.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

4.5" rims on carbureted cars; 5" rims on tii's. The latter are better if you're gonna run 185/70x13 tires--the modern choice to replace the OEM 165/80s. So if you're gonna look for replacement rims, look for 5" BMW rims. With those, the full hubcaps will fit nicely.

Refurbishing is easy: either sandblast or sand the wheels to remove rust, crud etc. If you're going for absolute authenticity, the wheels were delivered to BMW painted black, and the factory only painted the outer side silver; they left the back black. But anyway, give 'em a coat of Rustoelum or similar "rusty metal" primer, then some Krylon "dull aluminum" for a finish coat.

If you just want 5" steel wheels, Chevette wheels fit just fine (BMW hubcaps won't work though), and if you can find 'em, later Opel wheels are 5" wide and will accept roundie 2002 hubcaps--they're even made by the same company (Lemmetz) as BMW wheels.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

DC is absolutely awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. I picked up a set here on the FAQ for the cost of shipping and a spare tire/wheel I wasn't using. I have seen several advertised here. Put up a post in "Parts Wanted" and you will probably get some quickly. If not, suggest checking w/BLUNT. He seems to be the parts supplier guru and is highly recommended on the board.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70