• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What metal is a `74-`76 bumper made of?

ClayW

I'm trying to clear up the haze that has always been on my rear bumper. Chrome polish and Bon Ami seems to have no effect. I figure that knowing what metal it is might help.

Any suggestions on what it takes to get rid of the haze?

Thanks in advance.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

translation....its actually 'metal' a type of steel that's electrically coated with aluminum. The cleaner is polishing the thin coating of aluminum on the metal bumper. The electrical coating process is called 'anodizing.'

translation....its actually 'metal' a type of steel that's electrically coated with aluminum. The cleaner is polishing the thin coating of aluminum on the metal bumper. The electrical coating process is called 'anodizing.'

no, Esty had it right. The whole thing is Aluminum (there might be some zinc and nickel in there too) thats been anodized.

You really only have 2 options:

1: Take the bumper and sand off the anodized coating. Its failing right now and thats whats causing the haze. Once you get rid of it, progressively get finer and finer sandpaper until you're polishing the bare aluminum. This will require you to polish the bumper more often since its uncoated, but polish will actually work.

2: Do the same thing as above, but find a metal shop to re-anodize the bumper once you're done. This will probably be pricey, but it will be sealed for another 30+ years.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I was setting up a group buy awhile ago but didn't get any takers. The price was $100 per bumper and they'll strip, sand out minor scratches and re-anodize.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

Metal is a type of steel? thats good stuff right there...... Common household oven cleaner will make some head way on removing the anodizing, but as mentioned before sanding and polishing is what your looking at.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Just for you, I'm going to my StorageGarage and have a look at the rear bumper I have stashed somewhere. If it looks better than yours, I'll sell it to you for a lot less than the headaches, time and effort you'll spend on reconditioning the one on your car now. Please stay tuned..............

mac.

PS. Found the bumper. straight, no dents nor dings and except for the scratches(too many) it might have worked. Under the circumstances though, this one is NOT for you.

mac.

Guest Anonymous

hommies....when you live in the ghetto, anything shiny is metal....what you're calling 'metal' is (I think) actually something like steel with extra nickle in it for rust resistance. Then like an M&M the outer part is coated with aluminum. When you scratch the bumper, the surface coating scratches first revealing the "metal" (or steel) under surface. This is important because when you select a cleaner you need a product that cleans aluminum (the coating) rather than the 'steel' material underneath. And since I haven't had the bumper off yet (planned to do it but havent yet) I think this is the case (aluminum on top of steel) but havent verified in practice. Sorry if I'm wrong but I think that'w what I'll find.

Big bumper are made aluminum....

Has anyone here ever seen anodized, aluminum clad steel??

I doubt it, because it does not exist.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Guest Anonymous

all right guys...uncle....I give. But if my magnet sticks when I test it tonight you'll owe me....Heh Heh Heh......