• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much is it worth. if anything?

autobon7

I have a 1970 2002 auto trans, sunroof that has rust in the rear shock towers, driver side sill, passenger side frame rail, spare tire well, rear fender wells. Seats are a wash. It has had the trans rebuilt recently. Good glass all around. Needs front brakes. Engine runs but prolly needs carb rebuilt/tuned. Found a bunch of rust after I bought the car. Partly because I'm a noob with this car and partly because some rust was very nicely hidden. Just exploring options as I don't have stacks of money to throw at this thing. Thanks in advance.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

sounds like your car is worth more as a parts car. after you've gone through the hassle of selling the more desireable items you'll be stuck with a rusting hulk. sounds like most of the sheetmetal will not be sellable.

if you are offered $200 for it consider yourself lucky and a fair bit wiser, hopefully.

make notes of where to look, next time. perhaps squirrel away the parts for your next project and then tell yourself you wanted to acquire a parts hoarde anyway.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

If it's on the road right now-

DRIVE IT!

And only fix things that you have to.

Then when it breaks in two, or launches a spring into the trunk,

you'll have had some fun with it.

Rust belt car philosophy HAS to be different than west coast.

You just run it 'till it's done, and enjoy it while it does.

Toby

grew up in western NYS.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1. drive it when it's structurally unsafe--and it doesn't sound like it's to that point yet

2. Aren't too concerned about it looking pristeen

3. Bought it because you enjoy driving an '02

Go for it. And when it finally gets to the point of undriveabliliy, part it out. A recently rebuilt automatic will be worth something to someone on the board who wants to stick with the automatic, and there will be other useable parts to boot.

BTW, you'll find the automatic performs much better, especially on winding roads if you manually shift between 2nd and 3rd...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Where are you located? I know someone who may be interested

I am about 45 min north of St Louis, MO, in the Jerseyville, IL area.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)