• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 at the Drive-In

ClayW

There's a drive-in theater not too far from my house in Lubbock, TX. One of my simple pleasures is taking my 02 to catch a movie there with the girlfriend. I even wired up a switch that allows me to turn on the radio without turning the car on.

z157255203.jpg

Is anyone else as dorky as I am?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Definitely!

Having grown up late in the "era" of drive-ins, I still have some great memories (wink-wink) of them, and still love 'em. The only problem, at least out here, is that the few that are left are mostly in some pretty questionable areas, that I'd hesitate taking ANY car (or my family!) to.

Glad you got to enjoy one -

'74 Sahara 2002, sunroof/4-spd. (Bought from original owner in 1990)

'66 Mustang Coupe

'70 Mustang Grabber 302

'66 Thunderbird 428 Town Hardtop

Clay, that must make the Dayton area weird -- we have 4 Drive-Ins left. Cincinnati had over a dozen back during their hay-day, but none are left there. We have the Dixie, the Starlite, the Melody 49, and darn, I can't remember the name of the 4th one right now. We go every summer. Last summer we introduced a friend from China to the concept of Drive-Ins which he'd heard of but never seen before. Fun for him to see Ratatouile that way!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Yeah, we just have one here in Lubbock, and it's really nice. Cheap, too! only $6/person for a double feature! You can't beat that.

I just pop the rearview mirror off and we enjoy one of the front row spot that are reserved for cars (insted of SUVs and trucks).

Makes for a fun Friday night.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

The was an article in last Friday's Washington Post Weekend section detailing the one south of Stephens City/Winchester VA on Rt. 11. Also mentioned one in the Baltimore area.

I've only been to the old-time ones with the speakers that you hang off the door/window vs. tuning to their radio station. Will the car still start after a double feature?!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Coming from the UK, where I do not think there were any, I really enjoyed going to the drive-in in San Antonio. Sadly the last one in SA closed 2 years ago due to constant vandalism. It was opened in 1948 and lasted until idiots with nothing better to do got a hold of it.

I envy you for having one you can go to.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

the Wright-Patterson AFB runway! Nothing like trying to watch a movie when C5s are taking off! But they're quieter than the B-52s that used to be there!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Will the car still start after a double feature?!

Oh yeah.

Well, I have a 90 amp alternator and a nothing-special battery, but no problems. I don't know if it makes a difference that I don't have a huge stereo, but it starts just fine. Not like leaving your headlights on or anything; your car should be able to play the radio for quite a while without draining the battery.

ClayW