• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The Stance Thread"

oz_tom

20 hours ago, zinz said:

Not sure if the Tii struts will make a difference.  I'd make some measurements of your tire/suspension set up and use an online tire/rim size calculator to get a better idea. I've tried a bunch and like this one best, because you can enter data measured off your particular set up, store that in scenario #1, then it will show you how changes in ET or aspect ratio will fit.

http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=175-70-13X5.5ET18&wheel2=185-70-13X6ET12&fcl=50mm&wcl=40mm&scl=30mm

In my case, I couldn't even mount the 205 wheel/tire on the front due to it hitting the strut tube.  Your mileage may vary...

Ed

Thanks for the link Ed. I take some measurements and and see what it comes up with.

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

195 50R 15's with Tii struts

IMG_0732.jpg

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

19 minutes ago, mo's72tii said:

195 50R 15's with Tii struts

IMG_0732.jpg

That.is.perfect. I almost bought a '73 Taiga tii about 8 yrs ago and have been kicking myself ever since for not doing so. I wanted it to look just like yours cosmetically, a la euro-spec. Oy!!! You know where to find me if you're ever inclined to sell...?

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

45 minutes ago, 1936spyder said:

That.is.perfect. I almost bought a '73 Taiga tii about 8 yrs ago and have been kicking myself ever since for not doing so. I wanted it to look just like yours cosmetically, a la euro-spec. Oy!!! You know where to find me if you're ever inclined to sell...?

Lol...just installed a m42/44 built by metric mechanic. It is actually a car I built for my daughter and there is more than what you see. We added a 4spd auto but had to design and fabricate an adaptor plate to make the trans fit the motor. Also wanted to keep the early looking auto shifter and had to redesign all the linkage to make it work with the new trans. She now lives back east and I am on the west coast but she is coming home for a few days and wanted to drive the car so we got it together and cleaned up. I have to say that the best update is the electric steering rack we added. I know there have been a few threads on here about those but with the big tires the unassisted turning was tough. It is variable speed so on the road not much difference from stock but around a parking lot it is fantastic. I added one to one of my other 02's but have not driven it yet.

IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_5279.JPG

Edited by mo's72tii

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

6 hours ago, danco_ said:

Mo,

I've been watching this car come together over at Tighe's shop. I thought the back up camera was a nice touch. Very cool car! 

6 hours ago, danco_ said:

Thanks.....and still a work in process. I have been driving it the last couple days to make sure it is solid since my daughter comes home today. It is certainly a head turner. As for driving..we have an issue with either the trans or the tuning but on the freeway up a hill the power curve flatlines and am probably maxing out about 60 mph and 5K. We had a fresh rebuilt 4spd for the car that blew up in first 100 miles and Jeff put in a used one he had so she had something to drive while home. The one that blew was under warranty and back to the shop. This could very well be our issue. The one in the car has lousy shift points and the shift linkage is sloppy. The motor is a little heavier than the m10 that came out of it and I can feel it in the front end. Once we get it driving properly will take a look at tuning up the suspension. Did you see my Colorado M2 in there?

9 hours ago, mo's72tii said:

Thanks.....and still a work in process. I have been driving it the last couple days to make sure it is solid since my daughter comes home today. It is certainly a head turner. As for driving..we have an issue with either the trans or the tuning but on the freeway up a hill the power curve flatlines and am probably maxing out about 60 mph and 5K. We had a fresh rebuilt 4spd for the car that blew up in first 100 miles and Jeff put in a used one he had so she had something to drive while home. The one that blew was under warranty and back to the shop. This could very well be our issue. The one in the car has lousy shift points and the shift linkage is sloppy. The motor is a little heavier than the m10 that came out of it and I can feel it in the front end. Once we get it driving properly will take a look at tuning up the suspension. Did you see my Colorado M2 in there?

Hmm, shift points in the auto trans can be tough especially with a three-speed unit (?). I've not driven the m42 with an auto trans, but they typically came with a 4.27 rear end (if I'm not mistaken), to bring back some of that pep. Not sure if you threw a limited slip diff in the tiaga car, but I'd guess that you can have a 4.10LSD built with little issue. Either way, I'm sure your daughter will enjoy the car. I've seen her drive it once or twice on PCH in Laguna Beach, of all places. She usually waves when she sees me in one of my cars. 

Of course I've seen the m2! You've had a lot done since Steve owned it - the rear end especially! is that an e36 diff in there? I'd love to ride passenger in that car. The motorsport steering wheel is also a nice touch. 

-Ryan

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 28 May 2016 at 3:50 AM, Doug Riparetti said:

17" x 7", et25 with 195's for the fronts, 17" x 8-1/2", et25 with 205' for the rear, with rolled lips

Doug's 02.JPG

Nice wheel fitment.  

Was looking at some new wheels.

So 15x7 et25 (F) and 15x8 et25 (R) will fit with nothing more than a guard roll?   With say a mild stretch 195front and 205 rear

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

On 7/13/2016 at 5:53 PM, zinz said:

http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=175-70-13X5.5ET18&wheel2=185-70-13X6ET12&fcl=50mm&wcl=40mm&scl=30mm

In my case, I couldn't even mount the 205 wheel/tire on the front due to it hitting the strut tube.  Your mileage may vary...

Ed

I see what you mean. I checked out the current amount of space between the tire and strut with my 195's and yes, so little room. I couldn't even get my pinky in between. I'll stick to a new set of 195/50/15.

Edited by Senna27

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, MrAdams said:

BBS RS 4X100 found 'em cheap on eBay  15X7 +23

:D

4.jpg

10.jpg

Can you please let me know your tire and suspension specs... I'm in the middle of doing this on my roundie but the only tire I could find to go this low and still turn looks tiny on the car

6 hours ago, 4retech said:

Can you please let me know your tire and suspension specs... I'm in the middle of doing this on my roundie but the only tire I could find to go this low and still turn looks tiny on the car

195/45R-15 Toyo Proxes T1R SLPretty Reasonably priced. I feel you, it took a little research for me to figure out what wheel/tire option looks decent