• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of battery

Anyone have any suggestions as to what type/brand of battery I should purchase for my '71 02? I do not want to do a battery relocation so it needs to fit in the stock location. I run an Optima in my 914 and really like it but I'm not sure they make one small enough for the 02.

Another issue: Is the battery smaller in a '73 Tii than in a non Tii car?

thanks,

dave in Tulsa

dave in Tulsa

'71 2002 (project)

'72 2002tii (project)

FWIW I live in the desert Southwest and the 60 mo. batteries I get @ AutoZone last about 6-7 yrs. in both of our square-lite ' 02s. It has been said that there are only a couple of battery fabrication plants in the US that mfg. batteries for the majority of labels (Interstate and Optima may be exceptions). A # of people on this board have said they've had good results w/ WalMart batteries, and their prices are real good.

Bob Napier

I use an Interstate in my tii and it fits perfect. One thing that is a plus is the decals that come on the battery all come off easily, leaving it plain black and very unobtrusive. It almost disappears like it isn't there.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Dave,

With a 2002, you can use group size 42 or 26r; the master cylinder of the tii almost rubs against a group size 42 battery, therefore, the group size 26r fits more comfortably in a tii. I have a group size 26r in my 1969 2000, bought it at Advance Auto, fall of 2001, cost was just under $50.00.

Tim

'69 2000

higher CCA rating. Get 'em reasonably at Wal-Mart...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My Interstate Group 42 is a tight fit between the bulkhead and master cylinder (and a PITA to remove). PO used multiple hose clamps to secure it to the battery tray (sick).

Next time its the 26R and stock hold down for me.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"