• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts Prices Feedback and Poll

Maximillian

Hi folks,

BMW MT is open to feedback about unreasonably high parts prices as recently cited in a post about a dealer charging over $9 for a bolt. And it just so happens that I was preparing a report of uncompetitive parts prices for my annual meeting in Munich this fall. They are constantly asking me questions like, "why are we not selling any shocks for the 2002 ?". So we have decided to take a comprehensive look at the entire range of parts together, find low turn over ratio parts and see if there is a way to be more competitive in the marketplace.They really do care about the vintage customer as heritage is a major component of the BMW brand. In some cases BMW MT does not make profit on a parts reproduction but rather wants to facilitate and promote restoration of vintage BMWs. In the end, the true value of having a population of restored BMWs on the road as representation of the brand is more valuable to them than the profit on parts alone.

So lets hear from you, the 02 community, on what parts you have purchased in the aftermarket instead of from BMW. I have my spreadsheet open and ready......

Thanks,

Max

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

parts i've acquired from other than OEM sources:

steering box seals (aka Garlock seals), much cheaper at the local bearing supply store.

transmission seals

i cut my own paper gasket for the steering box cover rather than spend the $9+ for it.

wanted to buy a pair of delrin bushings (hard plastic) for the brake lever-arm due to noticeable wear, but could not justify the $12/ea i was quoted from the local dealer. Tried to order from your site the other night but the process was not without error. i will most likely make do with some shim stock to make up the slop.

the firewall shielding seems overly priced.

most rubber used to keep rainwater out of the car seems to have become very pricey, ie., the top piece for the door. not to mention that the rubber squeegee has been replaced with a hard plastic ersatz squeegee.

on the for sale section of the forum there's a post offering all the OEM fasteners used for trimwork for around $150.00. i find that unreasonable especially since there are now stainless steel versions being made which are infinitely more durable.

on the bright side, basic repair items such as brakes, bearings, most rubber bushings seem reasonable.

oh yea, the rubber rear shock bushing seems grossly overpriced.

and i was not thrilled when i ordered 10 of those rubber boots for the front turn signal wires and paid in excess of $100 for them about 2 years ago.

cheaper seat padding would be most welcome. i'm about to try converting VW seat pads as was mentioned on this board a while back.

thanks for asking Max.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I was wondering if the MT guys were watching!

As far as dealerships Parts Departments go:

I think the issue is supply.....kind of. I'm not sure how the Mobile Tradition network works, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to get parts to everyone for reasonable prices.

I think that people are willing to pay slightly above market prices for the right parts if they're Genuine BMW, but not trple or quadruple the cost. If there was a way for MT to regulate the dealership prices and convey to the dealerships the company's desire to provide service to older car owners, then they would see an increase in parts sales.

I think everyone who owns an older BMW would agree that dealerships just don't (I didn't say that they couldn't!) compete with the aftermarket's availability of parts and competetive pricing. Hell, I can get [some] genuine BMW parts from Bavarian Autosport for half of what the dealership charges.....and the dealership would take longer to get it for me!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Since i am concerned about 9$ bolts, what is BMW MT ?

Can it have effect on the folks at the sicks BMW Canada team ?

I get a lot of parts from AUTOPARTSONLINECANADA.COM, which is an extend of worldpack, you can browse there a compare prices maybe ? they have a lot of cheap parts.

how about licence plate lights at 19$ and trunk seal at 29$ ?

How about the availability of decent pistons set ?? i can get a set of 4x 20R pistons with rings for 100$ that fits into M10 with minor work.

For 100$ we cannot even get a set of rings.

I know they are NLA...that the problem !!

How about zinc plated fastener sets or sold by the pound ?

See what theses guys offer...yummy...

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/faas.html

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Max,

A recent example. I was in need of a trans mount. The 5 spd item used by the E21 is a popular substitute as it is a bit more substantial.

RUBBER MOUNTING 1 09/1979 09/1982 23711175424 $43.71

Purchased aftermarket:

23711175424 Meistersatz/CRP-Contitech Transmission Mount

1 per car. $6.10

Front Brake rotors;

BRAKE DISC 2 34111117422 $113.40

Purchased aftermarket

Brembo Brake Disc/Brake Rotor; Solid 240x10mm $33.80

Appreciate all you do for the faithfull.

V/R

Earl

74 02 Lux

02 M Roadster

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Too expensive

1) Door Seals, Door seals and rubber seems to be too expensive. Its a very very commonly needed item. Also there seems to be some fitment issues with new seals.

2) Tii fuel Injectors... $650+ for one !?!?

Also, what about reproducing:

1) Mud Flaps - Late style at least

2) Metal stone guards that go ahead of the rear fenders, they were about a $8 years ago.

Its sick how much people are robbing each other for these items.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Guest Anonymous

This responce is not just about prices. Here's why I've done a lot of business with another high profile after market BMW parts supplier, and recently my local BMW dealer for OE parts.

I started the rehab' of my latest '02 eight years ago (it was a mess). BA's prices were fair, their service excellent and delivery times very quick. I have purchased many thousands of dollars of stuff from them; and they have also been very helpful locating after market parts they don't regularly stock (Weber 38-38 carb, Momo steering wheel, H&R springs).

Recently I have started buying major OE parts for the '02 from my local dealer because they are very convenient, extremely helpful, started giving me a routine 25% discount, there are no shipping fees, and I can get most parts in 2-3 days, unless they have to come from Germany.

While price is significant, I am equally concerned about service, parts availability, timely receipt, and business relationships. Hope this helpful.

Roger

1972 2002 VIN 2575613

2002 325xi, daily driver

1992 525i, traded

1982 320i, traded

1973 tii, sadly traded

1971 1600, traded

I drive my '72 tii nearly every day. I'm not interested in restoring it. It looks pretty good from 25 feet and I get compliments on it despite innumerable flaws that I know of. I make my parts buying decision based on value; i.e., how badly I want or need the part(s) installed, cost, availability, and hassle factor.

I bought rebuilt calipers for about $50 each from a local parts store. I don't see the value of spending $370 + shipping for new calipers. I went with PBR pads to try to reduce the amount of dust that gets on my wheels. For seals, I think a local brake shop is likely to have fresher rubber parts than BMW just due to higher inventory turnover rates, so I go there.

I bought control arms, bushings, ball joints, center link and tie rods from Max because these are parts that I just want to do one time in the forseeable future. I received one outer tie rod with cracked (I suspect they've been on the shelf for a while) seals. I chose to replace all the seals with aftermarket urethane seals to fix that because I didn't want to deal with shelf life of stock rubber, rather than go through returning the part and all that.

Just my .02 cents worth. Have to get some lunch now.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

+1 for door seals...

hood seals ?

also, Walloth & Netch offer very neat items, like oe stamped steel, fasteners sets, rubber sets,...but at a very decent price (when you live there of course)

Too bad shiping kill the deal.

How about...

Fenders ??

Floor pans ?

Replacement sticker set (a lot of aftermarket are available, but not all of them, door sticker and windshield sticker for automatic just to name few)

And what about all the parts we used to see in the 80's that we dont see anymore ?

all thoses cool accessories ?

i seriously dare BMW MT to contact my local dealer and ask them

1-are they aware of MT

2-do they support any club membership associated rebates

3-what is a 2002 ? no its not the price of the oil change on a M6...

I can get you their contact off-line if you want, dear Maxximillian.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Hi Max:

You've opened up a Pandora's Box with this post! :-)

I have to agree with most comments I've seen above. Being a very long time '02 lover and supporter of your's, I have to admit that it is very sad seeing prices for even the common maintenance items escalate to ridiculously hign levels.

I, like everyone, am very grateful that MT "still" makes the attempt to produce parts for '02's after all of these years...it is very much appreciated. But, that being said, the drop in quality and the rise in price for "value-received" has been noticable over the past several years.

Some things MT does right, like New FPS Early Factory Alloys for around $250 each - Fair!

Then they go and charge over $150 for a rubber door seal! - Not Fair, not even remotely.

That's just one example.

I believe it would behoove MT to make every possible effort to be "fair" in their pricing...keeping these wonderful old cars on the road and in car corrals at shows will do wonders for the bottom line of BMW...they shouldn't expect their bottom line to increase by over-charging the "loyal" out here!

That's my $0.02 worth.

Happy'02ing, and keep up the good work Max!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Hey Max,

The last thing that kind of pushed me from buying new was the new door panels. Good lord after shipping and tax that is close to 8 bills for 2 panels!

I ended up buying a decent used one along with Aardvarc backing panels and sorted out a good type of mylar. It would have been nice to buy them new, but dang that's a lot of money IMO

Taillight lens? my roundies have a slight crack in them and I am hesitant to buy the lens new.

Bumpers? wowser.

Thank you for caring about us sick minded 02ers :) The hat you send with my order (two trap mirrors) is very nice indeed. Its on display in my room.

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

Max-

you really did open yourself up on this one, like John says. but i really have the same feeling on it that he does...

the price for the wheels that is fair. look at what you would pay for a set of aftermarket ones in the market today that are 'the best' that you could get. it's a reasonable price.

when you have the 'nut and bolt' items (nuts/bolts/rubber stripping, etc) that the cost of producing them can't nearly be close to what they are going for, i think that's what really burns people the wrong way.

i don't think that you will find a person in any aespect of bmw life (m series, 02'ers, 5'ers, etc) that isn't 'excited' in one way or another about 'restoring' there car to it's glory days, most especially this crowd. they hold onto these cars because they enjoy what they are and want to keep the enjoyment for the next person who get's the torched pasted to.

However when it's 9 bucks for a bolt you have to start thinking to yourself 'does BMW really feel the same way i do about being committed to this car?'

please don't take this as being ungrateful of MT. we are SO lucky that we have MT to build these parts for us, we just need them to be at a fairer 'market value' (if that makes sense)?

thanks

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Here's an idea: Have MT (& Maximillian) come to a large vintage BMW event (such as Vintage at the Vineyard in NC or Mid America Fest in Eureka Springs, AR) and run a seminar. They could put forth their positions and then a very lively discussion with '02 owners could follow. Especially helpful would be the opinions of experts who have taken apart and restored a number of 2002's. (you know who you are!) Any interest in a 'real-time' exchange of ideas with the ones who know??

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim,

That is a great idea. I have presented seminars numerous times with Dirk Alberts (head of BMW MT Parts) at BMW CCA Tech Fests. But the Tech Fest did not happen again this year and its future is uncertain. Alone I have attended and presented at many other smaller club events. The problem (and this is a source of frustration) is that BMW MT can not attend an event unless is the event is officially sanctioned by BMW CCA. It is an agreement between them that goes way back. I have begged and pleaded for them to come to VatV or Bay Area 02 but to no avail.

Everybody else, please give me detailed instances, parts numbers preferred if you can.

Thanks,

Max

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com