• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heartland 2002

Hey all my name is Kyle, A bit about my self, I am 19 and go to wyotech In Blairsville PA, it is a autotech school and I hope to land a job with a local dealership. Cars are my passion and my work. But I have always liked the 2002 the best.

I decided to make a project blog for my ongoing and not close to being complete 2002 project. I live in Ohio(the heartland) so as you might guess it has been hard to find a non-rusted shell but I have been able to find 2 02's that I can use parts off of to make my 76 a true running road worthy 2002. I have been in Love with 2002's since I was 15 when my dad found an old bmw 2002 buyers guide. I saw everything, but the one I liked the most was the faded out picture of the 2002. I wanted to get a touring but I soon realized that they where not to be found here. So I settled for a rusted old 2002 from a field that was about a mile from my house. It is a 73, and I with the help of the farmer that lived on the land and owned it I got it to run but the brakes where not easy to fix and I could not foot the bill at the time for the brake hoses that had swollen shut. So sadly it was not a first car. I got it home a year later when I paid the farmer 300 for it. It had no title, but as a, in a hurry kid not thinking about what I may have to do in the future, I took it. Years passed and I could not track down the title for it, the trail lead me into a fighting father and daughter, thus the title was lost. I just recently found a week ago, a 76 2002 with clean title. I can't afford much being a collage kid so I bought it for 500. Its not rust free in no means but I can get body parts off the 2 and make up a decent shell.

100_0562.jpg

I am now done with my basic auto program, and am in a high performance engines class. I have all the tools I could ever need or want to build a motor. ( not including the m10 cam removal tool, I had to bring that) So I am going all out as much as I can, Limited only by money to complete and drive the car I had wanted to drive since I was 15.

NOW thats how the project started:

About the car.

76 2002, moon-roof, LSD, single weber downdraft carb.

Lots of rust, but the car came with about 400 dollars in replacement weld in parts from partsforbmws.com

My plans: I want to create a 2002 with a very oem look, But I want to do something new. I am building up a 2002 ti motor with dual side draft oem solex phh carbs. Custom ported and polished head and intake manifolds. 292 degree cam from IE. Oversize ec. New everything but pistons crank and bock all oem parts.

100_0645.jpg

100_0646.jpg

100_0647.jpg

100_0644.jpg

100_0643.jpg

100_0650.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0652.jpg

100_0657.jpg

100_0658.jpg

100_0654.jpg

100_0653.jpg

100_0663.jpg

let me know what you all think. Other than that, I will keep up the posts as more and more of the project comes together.

Looks like you have a lot of work in front of you... but, keep the dream alive and just plug away it. One day you'll have a solid running '02 and you'll be glad and proud that you did all yourself!

-RoyW

• 1 month later...

100_0781.jpg

Nothing like a late night. My motor is almost built, I just have to pluck a few things off my parts car engine like the single chain timing I found it had a week ago when I finally got to dig into it. Also some poly bushings here and there, all very new. Also almost ready to pull the 73 motor for replacement!

• 2 months later...

Great work on your '02. Fascinating when such young guys love the 2002. I first drove one back in '75 -- my dad's '72 Golf '02. (I was 16 then.) You need to meet up with the rest of us Ohio '02 owners. We will be having a get-together (gtg) in May which should be fun. Even if yours isn't ready, you should join us and borrow one of ours for some fun. The May gtg will involve a cabin-camping stay at a state park and a drive. Details will follow this winter sometime. E-mail me at: j DOT denker AT sbcglobal DOT net. I will add you to our list. Good luck w/your project Jim Denker (AKA: Jim_75Sahara)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz