• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does not seem to want to go over 4500 RPM

lach

Hi All,

I am still just getting to know my 75 2002. Just had a new differential put in (thanks Aardvark Racing) and the car drives great.

However, I don't push it that hard, but when I do, it seems to struggle to get over 4500 RPM. At 4500 RPM, there is a bunch of noise, but it all sounds 'normal'.

The previous owner had a rebuilt motor put in the car in 2001 (about 2700 miles ago), and there are no leaks, etc, she hums right along up to 75mph no problems. Timing seems good, Weber carb installed

Just wondering if this is 'normal' for a 33 year old car, or if there is something I should be checking, or is the engine just tired.

I have not checked the compression yet...would that be a good place to start?

Thanks!

lach

Hi All,

I am still just getting to know my 75 2002. Just had a new differential put in (thanks Aardvark Racing) and the car drives great.

However, I don't push it that hard, but when I do, it seems to struggle to get over 4500 RPM. At 4500 RPM, there is a bunch of noise, but it all sounds 'normal'.

The previous owner had a rebuilt motor put in the car in 2001 (about 2700 miles ago), and there are no leaks, etc, she hums right along up to 75mph no problems. Timing seems good, Weber carb installed

Just wondering if this is 'normal' for a 33 year old car, or if there is something I should be checking, or is the engine just tired.

Thanks!

lach

first thing to check is the points and dwell. worn/out of adjust points are SURE way to limit yer revs. id just get new ones and install, and keep old ones as limp-home spares just in case. you also need a dwell meter or a shop with one. some timing lights will also measure dwell for you. good luck and have fun!

Guest Anonymous
Hi All, Just wondering if this is 'normal' for a 33 year old car, or if there is something I should be checking, or is the engine just tired.

Thanks! lach

Thirty-three year old cars come in many forms, so what is normal may only apply to your thirty-three year old car. If your engine was truly rebuilt, it should easily handle revving even under a load to 4500 rpm or higher. Is it running out of breath in all gears or just 4th?

Possible causes might range from severely retarded ignition timing, a bad rev-limiting distributor rotor, messed up carb settings - including carburettor linkage that fails to fully open the throttle! Checking compression is not a bad idea to get a base line and make sure you have something to work with, but I doubt that is the problem. Naturally, if you do have low compression, all of the other things you might try will be pretty futile.

Parenthetically, this issue has been addressed in the archives.

Thank you for the replies.

Seems to be running out of breath in all gears, not just 4th.

Would it be a good idea to go to a Pertronix system at this point (pun intended) if I am going to replace the points?

Thank you for the replies.

Seems to be running out of breath in all gears, not just 4th.

Would it be a good idea to go to a Pertronix system at this point (pun intended) if I am going to replace the points?

I would invest in new points, and work out problems before introducing a new variable like installing pertronix. (They sometimes require some "tweaking"). Points are cheap and solve lots of issues. When everything is running smooth, then try the pertronix.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

That sounds like great advice, thanks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can I pick up new points for the car anywhere?

last time i bought points it was at winchester import auto parts, a local place to me at the time. easy to just call yer LAPS (local auto parts store) and aske... :)

http://www.winchesterauto.com/

(since converted to 318i electronic ign.)

B.A.C.K. T.O. B.A.S.I.C.S. please.. . . . .

your not getting full throttle opening at the carburetor

with the gas pedal pressed to the carpet .

and yer jets

you should be able to rev it in any gear till yer valves hit

(please don't exceed 5,700 rpm)

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"