• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Third brake light

penth2o

The Hella came with double-sticky tape, and it has held up for over two years.

Unless I can cure the compulsion I have for symmetry, I may move it a bit to the left in the future. Now it's centered with the rear windshield moulding plug, and not the centerline of the car, about an inch difference. But I digress....thin, black, double-sided adhesive would work fine.

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

As Bill knows - I initially tried the JC Whitney 3rd brake light and it just didn't lay correctly for the angle of 02's rear window. Ultimately, I installed the Hella 3rd brake light offered by Daniel Stern Lighting (mentioned above) and I think it looks great (if the 02 had been sold post-1986, I think this would have been the stock 3rd brake light). The Hella 3rd brake light comes with a template you can use to properly center it and get the height of the brake light correct. I am very pleased with how it came out and its overall brightness. I hated to go with the 3rd brake light, but it was motivated solely by safety (of the car probably more than me) - pics below:

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Zac,

You can tie your third brake light into the xmas tree wire for your brake lights (its the green and red wire). Remove your rear seat and package shelf... and then run your 3rd brake light wire from the trunk, behind the rear seat, and up to the package shelf area. Buy the double stick tape available that is very dark grey or black - since it will look better than the white double stick tape. You will need to take good measurements and have someone eyeball it... just to make sure you get your 3rd brake light at just the right height, level, and centered. Run the wire under the package shelf and it won't show. Technically, I think its safer to have the 3rd brake light light placed at the top of your rear window, but it just didn't look as good with the Hella. Good luck.

I am attaching one more pic for reference.

-Marc

IMG_3244.jpg

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Zac,

You can tie your third brake light into the xmas tree wire for your brake lights (its the green and red wire). Remove your rear seat and package shelf... and then run your 3rd brake light wire from the trunk, behind the rear seat, and up to the package shelf area. Buy the double stick tape available that is very dark grey or black - since it will look better than the white double stick tape. You will need to take good measurements and have someone eyeball it... just to make sure you get your 3rd brake light at just the right height, level, and centered. Run the wire under the package shelf and it won't show. Technically, I think its safer to have the 3rd brake light light placed at the top of your rear window, but it just didn't look as good with the Hella. Good luck.

I am attaching one more pic for reference.

-Marc

IMG_3244.jpg

thanks marc! Now I have no exuse to put that thing on!

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg