• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the m20s, removable nose, rack steering and pedal box blog

Bill,

Nice work and looks great too. I think that everyone will agree, but dude thanks for documenting this stuff. I know I wont be back for at least a year, but Im already excited to start rebuilding at some point. Havent made any headway with the insurance, but that will eventually happen.

Are you going to have to run a proportioning value for the brakes? I think I remember some folks having one inside the car. Actually I think Moe has it in his.

How about the dif? I remember talking to someone about how someone had made a custom rear sub frame to take an e30 diff. That would be perfect for all that new power you'll have eh.?

Keep up with all the photos!

Evan

I used 1984 scirocco front disks, 93 Audi A4 rear calipers, a stock 02 hard line like you'd use on a front brake caliper to strut tube a single bubble to bubble flare coupler and a custom fabbed bracket

Not sure about how I'll do the ebrake cable--, I'll probably make a new stationary bracket for the sleeve and use the stock 02 end.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/

Guest Anonymous
Bill,

Nice work and looks great too. I think that everyone will agree, but dude thanks for documenting this stuff. I know I wont be back for at least a year, but Im already excited to start rebuilding at some point. Havent made any headway with the insurance, but that will eventually happen.

Are you going to have to run a proportioning value for the brakes? I think I remember some folks having one inside the car. Actually I think Moe has it in his.

How about the dif? I remember talking to someone about how someone had made a custom rear sub frame to take an e30 diff. That would be perfect for all that new power you'll have eh.?

Keep up with all the photos!

Evan

I used 1984 scirocco front disks, 93 Audi A4 rear calipers, a stock 02 hard line like you'd use on a front brake caliper to strut tube a single bubble to bubble flare coupler and a custom fabbed bracket

Not sure about how I'll do the ebrake cable--, I'll probably make a new stationary bracket for the sleeve and use the stock 02 end.

I'm really not sure if I'll have to do the proportioning valve. I won't need to change the bias adjustment on the fly, so the bias rod between the master cylinders ought to take care of the fine tuning anyhow.

As for the e30 rear end, we'll see how long I can make an e21 LSD last. After I blow it up, I'll work on a fix-- so to speak. Was it the e30 subframe modified to fit the 02 or the 02subframe modified for the E30 LSD... I'll have to search for that one.

The ebrake cable was quite simple really, some 3/8id and nut all-thread lamp parts and a 3.25 inch length of 1/2 conduit did the trick. Threaded end goes through the VW/Audi bracket hole, conduit slides over that, whole cable assembly is threaded through. All slack is removed at the handbrake lever and I'm good to go on the ebrake. Ya gotta love the self adjusting rear brake.

I've discovered my pictures were too small. I'll change it up in the future.

Haner used to modify '02 rear subframes for E30 diffs. But I think he wanted $750 to 1K for them. I have also heard of people mounting E30 subframes into '02s. This one is what you'll find info on in searching the FAQ.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• 1 month later...

Shot the engine compartment yesterday in Chamonix single stage Nason (by Dupont)

Any dents got a putty coat and some sanding, full prime, sand, seal and paint.

Looks half-descent for my non-show car. I plan on driving the piss out of this thing and I hope not to go so far with this car that I won't want to drive it.

I only wish that I didn't have as much dust in my garage-- some did find its way into the finish. I can live with it though.

I'm back into it though after a couple of months off, had to tend to stuff for the new Baby. She's due in December. Priorities I guess.

I'll work some more, more pictures to come.

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS

Engine was supposed to go in today. I figured that it wouldn't take but a couple of hours.

I did learn today that the pilot bearing for an M20 is different than the one used in the M42

I learned this because I'm using a Getrag 240 out of an e30 318is instead of the harder to find and more expensive 323i Getrag 245.

15 MM inside diameter 32 MM outside diameter

The M20 uses a 12 MM I.D. Bearing

I wrestled with that damn thing for hours... If this information is help for you guys-- I'm glad its here now.

Luckily I have a good bearing supply house in town and will be able to buy a replacement in the morning.

Bill in Petaluma, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

Glad you are workin on the car again. You think you'll have it running by December 21st?

Can't wait to see the other photos when I get home. I'll shoot you an email offline after I finish up with conferences.

Later.

Engine was supposed to go in today. I figured that it wouldn't take but a couple of hours.

I did learn today that the pilot bearing for an M20 is different than the one used in the M42

I learned this because I'm using a Getrag 240 out of an e30 318is instead of the harder to find and more expensive 323i Getrag 245.

15 MM inside diameter 32 MM outside diameter

The M20 uses a 12 MM I.D. Bearing

I wrestled with that damn thing for hours... If this information is help for you guys-- I'm glad its here now.

Luckily I have a good bearing supply house in town and will be able to buy a replacement in the morning.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/

well, We'll see. It kind of depends upon when the wife pops and what life is like afterwards.

I can't get skype to work dude... I don't know.

Bill in Petaluma, CA

Cool. I'll shoot ya an email with my dates when I'll be home. I need to hand you over some of those cameras too.

Corb might have the FD done by the time I get home too.

That blows that you can't get skype to work.

well, We'll see. It kind of depends upon when the wife pops and what life is like afterwards.

I can't get skype to work dude... I don't know.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

• 3 weeks later...

since the steering box was removed and the mount totally cut out-- a different type of mount needed to be fabricated.

These mounts incorporate e30 rubber mounts, one e30 passenger side metal mount assembly and a bunch of 3/16 in. metal

Pictures come soon... I've got to paint first.

Bill in Petaluma, CA

Hey Bill I just stumbled onto the E30Tech forum and there's a cool subsection on supercharging the M20.... thought you may be interested.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65778

Cheers,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

not to down that project... this is going to be different-- but a great project too. I may be asking that guy for a megasquirt map.

Bill in Petaluma, CA