• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

this is probably one of the sweetest 02's I've ever driven!

dubois

Finally convinced Jan to come over to fine tune his Alpina A4 touring, and fine tuned we did. A couple turns of some screws, and the car went from a 10 point spread a/f ratio to 12.8 across the board. I still can't believe it, half hour and what a transformation, there is absolutely no flat spot, just pulling and more pulling. By comparison, Bacchus after 80 hours of tuning still has a one point spread!, with a noticeable flat spot after 6k

The 300 cam really comes on strong after 4k, I just couldn't tell you how it really gets away from you after that, it is extremely addictive. I didn't want to give it back! Even at idle the engine is very smooth!, I just can't believe how effortlessly it climbs to red line!

The 5 sp close ratio and the CR steering just makes it that much sweeter.

To complete the day, I let Jan drive the Alpina on QS, and as a passenger I have never enjoyed my own car so much. Yesterday was a good 02 day!

Hosting provided by FotoTime

FAQ Member # 91

Maybe he will let you buy it from him.....

It helps to have that mechanical excellence packaged so well...

ronal008.jpg

These cars are so much fun, even a stock 1802, I can imagine what a blast the Alpina version must be. Now you guys need to all come down to SoCal in October, and we will find some more canyons to carve up. I still owe you a BBQ.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Wow, that is what I keep on saying. The session on Sunday was simply amazing Michael; I still have the smile on my face.

It was so cool how you were able to tune the car using the Air/Fuel meter; I got to get me one of those some day. Like you said, the range was so out of wack and within half hour the system started to purr like a kitten.

I can’t get enough from driving the three cars. Your Alpina (Bachus) is one wicked car Michael. That Car feels like driving a race car on the streets, the torque and handling of the car are just some of the highlights…. Thank you for letting me take it for a spin. Oxiurus is also just as amazing in different way. That little beast is so responsive that I could not get enough from the short drive. Michael….I love your beasts!

Thank you again for your help.

Jan

Hello Jason,

Hope that you are doing well. Yes, wish you were still here man. Hopefully some day we could meet again. The Touring really has changed a lot since the last time you saw it. I have installed a lot of parts that I had collected for it. For sure the CR trani and the CR steering box are wonderful.

Let me know next time you come out here.

Regards

Jan

The Touring really has changed a lot since the last time you saw it. I have installed a lot of parts that I had collected for it. For sure the CR trani and the CR steering box are wonderful.

So, what have you put in there? My c/r tranny is getting rebuilt and the suspension and brakes finally finalized (Alpina adjustable sway bars and rear disks). That, with the fuel smell neutralized, I think I may actually be finished with that car. I guess that's why I've started hording CSL Alpina parts.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

If I could drive the red car there easily enough I would do it, just to get together.

I second Josh's post, what all did you install? You have been busy it sounds like. Have you played with the suspension on the Touring? That is about all I can think of that may be left, but with those rims you can't lower it much without rubbing I think you said one time.

When I drove the Touring it was very out of tune, not very Alpina-like, but you had just gotten it. I can only imagine what it is like now.

I will be in Bay area in October it sounds like, will ping you all maybe some moon alignment will happen and we can all get together.

Do you still have the Italian Turbo?

-Jason

Recent get-together in Austin...

Ruta_Maya_2002_Meet_Aug_2008.jpg

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Man! I wish I was there!

-Jason

Yes, we had 3 cars, we needed an extra driver. The wide band really helps dialing in the car. I am still star struck over this touring. The fact that A/F was dead even across, tells me that this is the real deal. Pump, linkages and motor were set up perfectly. For those familiar with the 4 throtle body mechanical fuel injection, you know how hard this is to achieve, you just don't do this in half hour, unless it was set up that way to begin with, really smart monkeys those Alpina guys.

Yes, I am going to take the silver Alpina to the LA show, hope Jan can make it too.

FAQ Member # 91

How did you manage to do the a/f tuning? an 02 sensor? or a little bung in the end of your exhaust.

We had a wide band a/f gage that ran off a O 2 sensor inserted in the tail pipe. The trick is to calibrate the movement of the pump with that of the air butterflies. That changes the tilting of the curve. The overall richness of the pump shifts the curve up and down. At least that is the way I picture it in my mind. It is a trial and error procedure, with the wide band telling you if you are moving in the right direction. You simply cannot do it without a wide band.

FAQ Member # 91

Guest Anonymous

My recollection is that the ALPINA "system" (A4) generally works very well when it is installed in a car that way. What I mean by that is....a good set of butterflies without a lot of slop or play in the throttle shafts, a correctly calibrated pump (for an A4 system utilizing a 300 deg cam), ***300 deg cam, properly set linkage(s), free flowing exhaust. Of course the other things they did ( 39mm exhaust valves, shortened valve guides, port matching...and other). My car ran very well with the above system, very little problem setting it up-my mechanic at the time thought it was easier tuning the ALPINA injection than regular tii. Bottom line is that I have never heard of anyone getting the A4 injection to run quite right with a regular 264, 292 or 304 cams. Adjustments can be made around these other cams to make the sytem work - and work well in most cases but not as well as with the 300 cam - shouldn't be a surprise, ALPINA designed the system that way. Man I miss that car - steady power from about 2500 on up through 7k, very fast it was (for what it was).

Hello Josh,

These is what I recently did:

CR trani, CR steering box, camber plates, Weichers strut brace, Lightened Flywheel, Alpina adjustable sway bars (red, perhaps like yours), H/R springs, new Bilstein inserts, 3,64 LSD (for now, working on a real 40 % 2002 LSD). I did replace the warm-up regulator, gaskets between throttle bodies and intake manifold, hose from warm up regulator to intake manifold (had massive air leaks) and wheel bearings. I'm sure that I'm forgetting something.

Eventually I might lower it a bit more but that has to wait until I get the Borranis over from Germany, because the Alpinas on it will make the tire rub.

You will like your CR trani once installed. What rear brakes are you using?

Regards

Jan

Eventually I might lower it a bit more but that has to wait until I get the Borranis over from Germany, because the Alpinas on it will make the tire rub.

You will like your CR trani once installed. What rear brakes are you using?

Regards

Jan

If you put on Borranis, then the only visual difference between our cars will be the big-assed ALPINA on your hood!

The car has had a c/r five speed since I put in the new motor, but it was tired, to say the least. Should be a much happier car now.

The rear disks are a homemade kit using e21 and e30 parts on tii trailing arms, welded caliper bracket (not a bolt on, like the kits people sell). The only problem with the set up is that the only place to weld on the bracket is at the top of the trailing arm, so the caliper needs to be removed from the arm to be blead. Other than that, it looks factory.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/