• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTI wheels fit?

nevadainMN

I've got a set of 1st generation VW GTI wheels laying around the shop. I was thinking they'd make good track wheels for driver's schools. I could mount up some cheap R compounds and save my street tires for the street.

They are 14x6 et 38. So they sound promising. Anybody tried them?

sounds like the same as one of the set of miata wheels I often use. Not the ideal offset, but sure they work, and yeah they should be 4x100 as well.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Are you talking about the GTI snowflakes? Do they look like the rims on this car?

poster19847379.jpg

If so I can verify they have the same bolt pattern and center bore. I'm not sure about offset though. I've run 02 steelies and E30 bottlecaps on that VW before with no issues, but never tried the VW rims on a BMW.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Also, be aware that Volkswagens use ball-seat lug bolts, not the conical seat used on BMWs. I've heard mixed reports about using Honda lug nuts (which are ball-seat and the same thread as '02 studs) with VW rims; apparently the radius is slightly different, but some folks say they work fine. I have no personal experience switching makes of rims in this way.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

It would be the same selection as for the bottlecaps. They are the same size (14x6) but with a different offset and the lugnut issue. Honestly I don't think they would be worth the effort.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)