• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Every once in a while it all falls in place (long)

m-racer

I have been driving 02's off and on since 73 (yes, I realize that makes me old). I have been without one for a couple of years and thought I had effectively moved along to other models. I have been concentrating on early M cars (E28 Euro M5, E30 M3's). Somehow, I have not been able to get 02's out of my system and my guess is that it's really the people more than the cars. I realized at Watkins Glen last Fall and again at V@V (chasing Mike Pugh's Fjord car as he led the E28 drive up through the mountains on Friday probably did the trick) this Spring, that another was in my future. I have looked at a bunch of 02's over the last year and none of them really were the "right" car and I had neither the time or patience to consider building one. I had pretty much decided to give up. I put a short post in the FS section of this board (looking for an exceptional 02) but had low expectations. I got an interesting email a few days later from Terry Lew in SF who commented that he might have the car I was looking for. He had commisioned the car with JP Cadoux, it had been taken down to metal for a body restoration and had a Checca built S14 stroker. As I began to browse through the documentation on the build, it became clear that this was a special unit. I knew JP's rep and decided that this was probably the right car. Terry spoke with JP, who wasn't really happy about seeing his buildchild leave the area, and before I could even call him, he contacted me. We had a great conversation, swapped stories, and talked about the car. I was extremely impressed with JP's knowledge, the level of thought that went into the build, and the connection he felt to the car. I was ready to buy the car. We agreed on a price, but Terry refused to sell the car unless I had someone at least drive it and offered to hold it as long as necessary if I could come out and drive it my self (how's that for an enthusiast). Not enough time for that so I made another post on 2002FAQ asking for help and DavinSF jumped in. He took time off work, did a test drive, called to give me his detailed impressions and sent a ton of pictures. Terry and I exchanged money and title and the car is due to be shipped to Fl. next Monday. I am very excited about being an 02 driver once again. Many thanks to Terry and JP, to Davin for his help, and to my friends Mike Pugh, Bill Williams, and HarryPR who have looked at countless pictures of the candidates over the last year. I learned a great deal from your comments. It will be great to have an example of JP's fine reputation and thoughtful engineering on the East Coast. This is a great community. Now keep your fingers crossed until it gets delivered. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29732060@N07/

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Guest Anonymous

No doubt a beautiful car with very nice modifications. Congrats on the new aquisition and good luck with it. Post some more details/pics when the cars arrives and you have some time with it. I bet there are a lot of little details that are worth sharing.

you most certainly are discriminating. i've seen that car on the lift and it's as nice underneath as it is on top. nice paint, nice components it's a great boy-toy, one i'd like to have if i had a big wad of money burning a hole in my pocket.

maybe JP will have the room to build one for himself now.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Having had the privledge of seeing this car up close and personal as well as riding (not driving, unfortunately) in it, you are about to

come into possession of the 2002 enthusiasts' wet dream.

Note the 56,000 views on youtube:

JP built my '74tii, "Mae West" while she was owned by M2 driver Daniel Cooper (COOP), and has also performed the "laying upon of hands" on my '73tii "Orange Julius" since his arrival here in the summer of 2006 -- fixing the previous mechanic's ham-handedness.

I find it odd that JP's reputation is not more widely known -- even here in the Bay Area. He's the hardest working guy I know.

Since "Mae West" is (almost) sold, and "Orange Julius" is on the block, I've picked up a Brillantrot 1991 E30 318is. JP is already plotting how it will serve a dual purpose -- daily driver and occaisional track car/autocrosser. Should be the kind of project like they used to be -- pick up a tired, but solid car for a song, then make it faster, stronger and a whole lot more fun. This time, however, it's got A/C, power windows and power steering.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

...with a regular old '02.

Believe me when I say it was my PLEASURE to have a look at this car. A car in fact that was being built right alongside mine!

Congrats to Tim and Terry for a deal that sounds like it made everyone happy.

What I hadn't anticipated was JP's forlorn look when we talked about his creation moving away. Though there's no way to know it yet, I'll bet there will be other commissions in JP's future arising from this transaction. A whole new coast of enthusiasts appreciating a well crafted machine is never a bad thing.

Sounds like a special car found a great home. Gotta be happy about that.

Davin (who was in SF)

London, England

1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe

Pressin' on regardless . . .

Very, very nice car...congratulations

Now........I think we need to have an 02 "export" tax on all these nice Tourings, Turbos, M2s, Tii's, etc. slipping out of California to all points east. Then, we can use the money to subsidize our own "Wet" Dreamobiles.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Your soon to be awesome new car was the very thing that sold me on JP doing my car. I met him at an event one day in SF, talked and looked over the car; he explained all he had done. Two years later I was able to schedule my project. Not that it takes that long; I just needed the time to get married and have a kid first. ;-)

The college fund will just be a little bit lighter, but my child may have one hell of a car to drive 15 years from now.

post-2154-13667593932807_thumb.jpg

But what do I know