• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Removal?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need to remove my steering box to put some new seals in it. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on removal? TIA, Dan 72 02 Atuomatic in Philly,PA

• 13 years later...

Reviving an old thread...I know, I know.  I didn't want to get the "use the search function" response.  It looks like the link above is dead and I searched through other threads to try to find my answer.  

I just picked up this used steering box to replace my super leaky one that also has a hitch in it when I turn the wheel.  I picked up this box for $40 bucks and it seems to turn smoothly from one side to the other without any disruption.  I put new fluid in and let it sit for almost a week with no leaks.  

I ordered a new coupler from Ireland and I want to try to get away without having to replace the seals on the box.  Here is my question:

Do I need to lock the steering box to one side or another upon removal and installation so that I don't end up with a cocked steering wheel?  Also, as you can see in the photo, there are no threads left on the adjustment screw, does that mean the box is cooked, or should I just back it out a few threads and see how it performs?

Thanks in advance!

Steering box.jpg

9 hours ago, gruizer said:Also, as you can see in the photo, there are no threads left on the adjustment screw, does that mean the box is cooked, or should I just back it out a few threads and see how it performs?

That adjuster is telling you that the damage has been done. It’s screwed in that far to try to compensate for a worn out box. The bushings are worn beyond spec and the worm gear is pressed hard against the steering shaft to steady it. It will work, but it will feel very different than a good box.  I’d see if you can find someone who wants a core box for $40 and keep looking for a box that isn’t so far gone.