• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to import a right hand drive 02?

poolguru

check with your state's Department Of Motor Vehicles - on-line info FAQ's

and good Luck ! passing on the road

and good luck! getting Right-Hand Drive related parts

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

the value of the car you buy will DROP once it hites the USA. if you ever try to sell it in cali, itl be hard to sell. and the guy above is right, you will NEVER be able to overtake in it (unless you have a passenger)

RUST is a HUGE PROBLEM in uk and ireland because of so much rain and cold weather here. In the uk when it the roads were ICY,they used to salt the roads which ended up rusting the CRAP out of the underside of the cars.

also parts will be hard enough to get. and these cars are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE to buy in Europe.

but taking that all into consideration if you do still decide on a right hand drive. the guys at jaymic.co.uk are great. Faye or peter are more than happy to help and im sure they'l ship to the States.

if you give them a call and ask them about people who would ship a car from uk to USA they will point you in the right direction.

OH PLEASE!!!!!... I've driven for years RHD in LHD countries (as many UK driver have since cars existed) and the idea that you can't pass is ludicrous!... importing to the USA a RHD is no different from a LHD... most parts are the same in a RHD as in a LHD and those that are different are easily available from people like Jaymic... note: the dollar is gaining strength again.... as far as value is concerned I don't know but I own mine not to sell and if I did I would never be able to recoup what I put in it since I've owned it from '84.... I shipped mine with 'WALLENIUS WILHELMSEN' (http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/) ROLL ON ROLL OFF... from Southampton to Port Hueneme 60 mile north of Los Angeles... took 23 days and I followed it across on ship tracking web sights....

good luck!

I have a relative in Chicago who has driven numerous early Bentleys and Rolls Royces with RHD. It adds to the panache of the car and the comments on your classic will increase threefold! It takes a week or so of getting used to it, but after that, you should be good to go.

The DOT restrictions on importing cars that conform to DOT/EPA standards does not (generally) extend to vehicles over 25 years or so, if I recall correctly.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

I had no problems importing my 1971 Cab from Belgium. As long as it's 25 years or older, it isn't subject to DOT restrictions. Hopefully, it is a 75 or earlier to avoid smog testing. After it passes the agricultural inspection, you can pick it up at the port of entry. You pay the import fees at the port offices, the shipping fees at the shippers office, they drive you out to the largest parking lot you have ever seen and hopefully you drive away with your purchase. No one checks if it is RHD or LHD. Count on the battery being DOA.

Good luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I appreciate the help and opinions guys.I have had a RHD car before so not an issue.I contacted the shipper for a quote.we'll see whats the outcome.

Mojojoy,what are you selling your 72 touring for?If you still are,email me at poolguru1@hotmail.com Thanks.

the value of the car you buy will DROP once it hites the USA. if you ever try to sell it in cali, itl be hard to sell. and the guy above is right, you will NEVER be able to overtake in it (unless you have a passenger)

RUST is a HUGE PROBLEM in uk and ireland because of so much rain and cold weather here. In the uk when it the roads were ICY,they used to salt the roads which ended up rusting the CRAP out of the underside of the cars.

also parts will be hard enough to get. and these cars are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE to buy in Europe.

I am assuming you have NEVER driven a RHD over here; I used to drive LHD cars in the UK and rarely had a problem overtaking even on the small roads. You learn how & when to do it. Now I have my RHD in Texas where the roads are WIDE, overtaking is a doddle.

The rust in the UK is more likely caused by being an Island (salt air) than the rain. The average yearly rainfall total in England is less than Texas.

Only the RHD specific parts can be difficult to get, the expensive/NLA ones are the hydraulic brake/clutch system & twin servos, and front downpipes . Most parts are the same as LHD and, naturally, can be sourced locally.

The Texas sun has done more damage to my car in 8 years than the English weather did in the previous 26!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17