• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member intro

edbrody

Hello. I just recently purchased a 75 2002. I'm new to BMW's but was looking for a project car, and came across this car on Craigslist for $800. The body needs some rust repair, the spare tire well, the trunk floor and fame rail on the right side of the gas tank, the front frame rail behind where the suspension mounts. I can handle the rust repair, since I've had a lot of practice with my mig welder, replacing sills and floorpans on my 77 MGB Also the front end panel has a lot of rust on the bottom portion. But if I'm not mistaken this whole front clip needs to be replaced as a whole.

The car has an M10 engine and a 4 speed from a 320i. I plan on pulling the engine and striping the car down to a bare shell.

Besides the MGB, I also own a 66 Mustang convertible. One thing I've noticed is that parts are not as readily available for the 2002 as for Mustangs and MGs, and are quite a bit more expensive. Also, looks like most of the parts suppliers are on the West Coast, and I'm on the opposite coast (Long Island).

I am looking forward to working on my new project, and this site looks like it will help me out a lot ( I have a lot to learn about these cars).

Ed

Hi, you might need some contact and shop around for your parts, i can find almost anything for mines and i am way up north...

Welcome btw !!

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Welcome. there is a bunch of good solid knowledge here to tap.

I have never had any problem finding any part, either on ebay, here, or from a dealer/distributor. Not once. With regard to price I can't say I have any point of reference since my 2002 is my first and only vintage car. I can tell you I am cheep and so far I have not found anything so expensive I chose not to purchase it. That is not to say I will buy anything I want, I just have considered each purchase a reasonable value. Just my .02 cents.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

With the kind of rust you're describing, check the rear shock towers from underneath the car. Also, poke around the front and rear windscreens and inside the doors.

Many maintenance parts are available at local parts stores. Check your local BMW dealer, too. A few of them are quite supportive of our old cars and some offer discounts for BMWCCA members. Do a few price checks over the phone for stuff like brake rotors, suspension parts, and door seals as a test.

Good luck, and welcome to the sickness.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Guest Anonymous

Hey NYS guy, There are about a dozen other NY'ers on this board including several from downstate and Westchester County. '02's are actually quite easy to get parts for, once you learn the network (and are willing to part with a few dollars). First go out a get a copy of Bimmer magazine and check out the ads and then get on line and start collecting the addresses of suppliers. Also consider joining the the BMW Car Club of America www.bmwcca.org which has an excellent monthly mag for more info. Then go to www.Bavauto.com for more parts info. I also have had very good success with my BMW dealer ordering parts at discount, but that has not been everyones' experience. Several members of this board also have parts businesses, including (Steve) BLUNT, who has been very helpful to many '02'ers. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

The annual BMW CCA Oktoberfest is at Watkins Glen this year, and I know there will be some 02's and 02ers there (me included). I'll be doing my Rust Seminar--probably on Saturday. It's not too late to join the club (on line) and register for the event. You're not too far away at all. And don't worry about having to bring a pristine car...just ask about Crusty...

One specific from your post. If your front valence panel (nose) has rust below the grille opening, you can repair it fairly easily (particularly if you have a MIG welder) without having to replace the entire nose panel. I've done it on both my '02s and I'm definintely not the world's greatest MIGger.

Anyway, welcome to the fraternity/sorority...lotsa good advice and good friends here!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to know there are some other NY owners out there. I'll have to start digging a little more and get familiar with the suppliers.

Mike, I just spent some time removing the grilles, and headlights and getting a closer look at the front nose rust. I was thinking the same thing you said, I may be able to repair it without replacing the panel. I hope so.