• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shortened Struts (again) and some other stuff.........

peteinjp

Thanks Pete-

Actually, I wanted to see how the coal tar epoxy came out. There's really nothing on the internet about this stuff regarding consumer or automotive application. I bought this stuff planning to coat a pair of (tii?) struts, since it touts the best moisture rejection characteristics. I'm kinda worried about the weaknesses to high heat and UV, but a topcoat of something like Eastwood Chassis Black might help. Maybe this option is even better (certainly easier without using a spray gun) than powdercoating.

My motivation comes from the recent rust-failure of the perch on my non-tii right front strut. I had purchased a used pair of tii struts with E12 calipers some years ago that I hoped to use, but after stripping their new-looking paint I found that the perches would probably fail again.

So I started seriously considering coilovers last night, even though I'm not planning to track my car. If I can't find a pair of decent tii struts for the right price, I might harvest the rusted ones. The VW shocks are $200, the perches and springs from GC are $200 (or cheapy ebay kits), and then labor for the welding. Or, I just get a used non-tii strut and defer this decision until later. Strangely, I haven't found any talk of reinforcing rusted perches - I figure if cone-shaped sheet metal could be had, then it would just be a matter of welding (if the rust is limited to the inside of the perch).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well which ever route you go enlarging the weep hole on the spring pearch might help to keep the next set from getting rusty. It easily gets clogged with a stone and some dirt etc.

In terms of getting something that will last a long time on there- any good 2 part epoxy paint should do the trick well. Not much UV under the car anyway - I think its direct exposure to sunlight over a period of time that will break down the surface of epoxy paints.

I thought about it for a bit and decided that the way to go was to go to a boat paint shop. That is where I first got turned on to the 2 part epoxy - I used a ppg product called coal cat (I think....) for my gas tank exterior when I was in the states and it it just about the toughest stuff I've ever seen. God forbid I ever want to strip it......

In terms of of going coil over- the real advantages are 2- both have to do with going at least sort of fast. First is the ability to dial in more negative camber adding traction and saving money on tires. Second is any 2002 that is lowered and has sticky tires will very likely bottom out the stock length shocks in a tight corner causing major understeer. This is corrected with the rabbit shocks.

Finally if you do go that route you could find a pair of used shocks and have them re-valved to rates that suit the 02 and your spring choice better. Bilstien rebuilds and revalves to your spring rates at a very reasonable price.