• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Bus Steering Wheel (Leather Euro Version)

02fanatic

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought a nice Momo Prototipo Steering Wheel & Hub Adapter to install on my '73tii (for something different).

I have a Euro style bus wheel on there now, which I dearly love, but I want to switch over to the fat grip Momo for awhile.

My problem is, I can't get the umoungous center horn button off the old steering wheel...it's in excellent vintage condition, and I don't want to damage the chrome trim, etc.

Anyone have a tip as to what I need to do here?

Thanks,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

look on the backside of the steering wheel hub for a small hole (1/8inch diameter). use a nail punch to push the horn pad out of its perch.

a gentle push should suffice.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

look on the backside of the steering wheel hub for a small hole (1/8inch diameter). use a nail punch to push the horn pad out of its perch.

a gentle push should suffice.

That will probably do the trick. I noticed a small hole on Monday when I was trying the install. I'll try that.

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

pry it off with your fingernails (or a thin putty knife blade) inserted between the chrome trim ring and the steering wheel proper. Pops right off. If it's the kind where the center cap is also the horn button (not the OEM wheel on a 73--this is the "sport" wheel that was used on 70 and some 71 US cars supposedly due to a fire/strike at the "bus wheel" plant), that style center cap has to be unscrewed from the back side. And mind the spring when you loosen the screws.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

pry it off with your fingernails (or a thin putty knife blade) inserted between the chrome trim ring and the steering wheel proper. Pops right off. If it's the kind where the center cap is also the horn button (not the OEM wheel on a 73--this is the "sport" wheel that was used on 70 and some 71 US cars supposedly due to a fire/strike at the "bus wheel" plant), that style center cap has to be unscrewed from the back side. And mind the spring when you loosen the screws.

mike

Mike; I have the latter style that was supposedly used due to the fire (Sport Wheel)...very nice wheel with satin black spokes and single horn button & center hub. So, it's screwed on from the back side? For the life of me, I can'tremember how it went on when I installed it sevreal years ago. It's really on there! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

I just put a Euro Bus wheel on the orange car so this is fresh to me.

As Jerry says, use a punch or something to push the horn button out using the hole in the back.

The horn button is held on by three plastic button that flare into three holes. I prefer to push rather than punch.

The Euro wheel is not leather. I thought so too, When I sent the wheel out to be recovered, I ask the fellow to remove the leather and recover. He phoned me to tell me it was the best vaulcanized, (or somehing like that) vinyl he had ever seen and it can not be removed. He had to cover over the vinyl.

Best

Touringeurosteeringwheel.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I just put a Euro Bus wheel on the orange car so this is fresh to me.

As Jerry says, use a punch or something to push the horn button out using the hole in the back.

The horn button is held on by three plastic button that flare into three holes. I prefer to push rather than punch.

The Euro wheel is not leather. I thought so too, When I sent the wheel out to be recovered, I ask the fellow to remove the leather and recover. He phoned me to tell me it was the best vaulcanized, (or somehing like that) vinyl he had ever seen and it can not be removed. He had to cover over the vinyl.

Best

Touringeurosteeringwheel.jpg

Thanks Bill...that's the wheel I have (bought mine from Germany)...my original grip wrap looks about as good as your re-wrap....I thought it was leather. Regardless, sweet wheels they are. I just want something different for awhile. I'll probably put the bus wheel back on at some point, for originality.

You might get tired of yours too....the smaller diameter steering wheel is just too good of an upgrade to ignore (more fun to drive)....I suppose that's why most original wheels have been removed. Bus wheels are easier parking however! :-)

Take Care,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

• 2 years later...

re: the bus steering wheel - my chrome ring is corroded. Surrounds the center rubber horn button. Anyone have one for sale in good condition/ no rust/corrosion? I doubt this part is still available

pardon my horrible ms 'paint' skilllz

post-254-13667631254847_thumb.jpg

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Esty, I was actually just looking for that specific part to buy, - will post in wanted. Thanks, John

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT