• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can voltage regulators be refurbished?

jerry

just tossed two dead ones in my trash last night after swapping one bad one for another bad one.

did the black to blue alternator jumper test but wasn't convinced by my findings so i swapped out the alternator too.

when that didn't fix the problem i tried yet a third voltage regulator from my stash and it finally worked.

the scrounge in me would like to retrieve those two tossed voltage regulators from the trash.....

will a Volkswagen voltage regulator work? gotta be cheaper than the 'up-market' BMW variant (around $35/each).

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

inside (I believe these have 'em). Often the only thing wrong with the regulator is that the points are burned and/or stuck. If you can clean up the points and get 'em working again, the regulator can be saved. If the coils are all burned looking, or the points are irretrevably welded together, the regulator's toast.

Like you I like to refurbish stuff that can be salvaged...so it's worth a try. Only a few minutes to test one after you've (hopefully) fixed it. Post if you're successful.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm older and wiser....(not) I guess I would ask why you would risk the car failing with ????? Parts.... It took a long time but I finally realized some stuff is not meant to be saved. I used to put on used hydraulic cylinders.... Some great stories about when they chose to fail....

While we're on the subject - does anyone have a good method for making the corroded housing of regulators and relays look better? My regulator was already replaced, but the Bosch cold start relay (tii) looks horrible. I tried using a brass bristle brush on the housing but didn't want to mess up the black printing.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

For the tii cold start relay: I have done it. I bead blasted (low pressure) and painted with metallic paint. Then, I made a copy of the lettering using a new one, printed on a transparent paper and taped over it. It looks great. Here is a picture. I have template picture if you want to make your own copy. It looks better to naked eye than the picture shows.

As for the voltage regulators: yes, they are repairable. Provided the points and the coils are OK as stated in the above post. It is a simple 12VDC voltage regulator. You can rebuild under $5 from parts at ratshack. However, you can get a shiny new one under $40 bucks, don't buy from BMW or max they will f&%$# you (over $120 bucks). I bought one from Autohuas of AZ. I have a new spare one if anybody needs, will sell for $30 bucks.

post-2494-13667594486528_thumb.jpg