• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Rolling Resto

Colin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The spoiler looks great. Is it a plastic or fiberglass one that you put on? Also, did you put any supports at the bottom of it or is it just stuck on from the top?

Eric

Pierre on the FAQ here makes the spoiler. The build quality is extremely high and this things is tough as a fiberglass part could be. The price is great, too, compared to the competition.

Here's a link to his page:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~pchamaa/kamei_repro_spoiler.htm

As Ann said, I had planned on making a bracket for the bottom, but honestly, its really on there even without one. I used threaded rivets to mount it, so I can actually take it off if necessary. I'm very happy with the fit. I also used some VW fender beading around the edge of it to protect the paint and to make it a little cleaner looking.

I have Pierre's spoiler as well. I have not had a chance to mount it though. Did the upper lip of the spoiler flex at all when you were putting the rivets in? Im just curious because mine does not sit flush to the body all the way across and I am a little worried about over tightening and cracking the spoiler.

Eric

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

Initially Colin was going to make a bracket for the bottom, but it may not be necessary as it really doesn't feel like it's going anywhere...

I'd recommend running something up there. Our '02s aren't exactly aerodynamic, and shoving that brick through atmosphere at 75mph or so is going to put a lot of stress on the upper lip. I ran mine without brackets on my car (back when it ran and used to be white) and there were all manner of hairline cracks after a few months - just stress on the fiberglass spiderwebbing the paint.

Here's a shot of mine, you can see them toward the left of this shot:

Subframe02.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I have Pierre's spoiler as well. I have not had a chance to mount it though. Did the upper lip of the spoiler flex at all when you were putting the rivets in? Im just curious because mine does not sit flush to the body all the way across and I am a little worried about over tightening and cracking the spoiler.

Eric

It did flex a little bit, but mine sat pretty flush to begin with. The issue, for me, was more that the sides sat out a little bit too far, but I was able to "suck" them down pretty nicely with the rivuts. I'd highly recommend using the fender beading if you're not planning on it already.

Initially Colin was going to make a bracket for the bottom, but it may not be necessary as it really doesn't feel like it's going anywhere...

I'd recommend running something up there. Our '02s aren't exactly aerodynamic, and shoving that brick through atmosphere at 75mph or so is going to put a lot of stress on the upper lip. I ran mine without brackets on my car (back when it ran and used to be white) and there were all manner of hairline cracks after a few months - just stress on the fiberglass spiderwebbing the paint.

Here's a shot of mine, you can see them toward the left of this shot:

Thank you for the tip, Harrisson. Sounds like it is very worthwhile to make the brackets after all!

I was asking about the brackets that hold the lower edge of the spoiler to the existing edge of the front body piece.

Justin

You'd have to make them. I'm just going to use some 1" wide or so aluminum stock and bend them up to fit. I'll post pics when its done.

• 2 weeks later...

I realized I haven't really posted any pics. I've been driving the car for several weeks now. There are still a few small things to wrap up on the exterior, including the rear bumper, but its mostly done.

Here's the obligatory "before and after" set.

img_0845-300x225.jpg

img_0927-300x225.jpg

img_0923-300x230.jpg