• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Rolling Resto

Colin

The car looks great. All you need to do now is paint your wheels flat black and it will be badass. :)

hahaha, you say that about every car!

Well people need to start listening to me and then I will stop saying it. Haha. Both of your cars would look good if the wheels were black though. Sadly my car would not look as good as either of yours if it had all black wheels which is what I really want. So there is one car I am not saying it about. :P

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car looks great. All you need to do now is paint your wheels flat black and it will be badass. :)

Ha. Let me guess, you used to be a veedub guy?

The paint is actually really dark, almost black actually. The photo doesn't really convey that. Because of that, the wheels need to be really bright silver I think. I actually found (finally) something in a 16X7 that I really like. =)

There are still a few small things to wrap up on the exterior, including the rear bumper, but its mostly done.

What are you going to be running for the rear bumper? Shortened, stock, euro?

Euro color matched to the car. I am going to give the fiberglass repro a try since I can't find a nice chrome one (actually I did, and would have won it on ebay but my browser crapped out at the worst moment).

Ha. Let me guess, you used to be a veedub guy?

LOL. I was going to agree with the flat black suggestion. I had flat black wheels on my Mk3 GTI.

Car's looking great by-the-way.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Colin,

How much paint did you end up using to paint your car? I'm seriously thinking about painting mine myself. A widow from our church has her garage setup as a spraybooth (her husband painted 3 cars there). It has everything I need; great lighting, huge compressor, good quality spray guns, venting, etc.

I decided to keep my car Chamonix instead of painting it Fjord. As much as I love Fjord, changing colors would mean I would have 3 times the work to do.

I'm hoping I can have it repainted before Bimmerfest.

1973 2002 Fjord "LB"

Hey Colin,

How much paint did you end up using to paint your car? I'm seriously thinking about painting mine myself. A widow from our church has her garage setup as a spraybooth (her husband painted 3 cars there). It has everything I need; great lighting, huge compressor, good quality spray guns, venting, etc.

I decided to keep my car Chamonix instead of painting it Fjord. As much as I love Fjord, changing colors would mean I would have 3 times the work to do.

I'm hoping I can have it repainted before Bimmerfest.

Hi Jim,

I used 3 quarts of epoxy primer, 3 quarts of 2k primer surfacer, about 2/3 gallon of color and about the same with the clear.

• 1 month later...

Colin,

You have inspired me! I've been wanting to repaint my car, but didn't want to spend the $$$$$ having a shop do it. I decided to paint it myself! I also decided to change the color. Instead of Chamonix, I'm painting it Fjord. I figured if I'm going to spend the time and money replacing all the rubber seals on the car, removing the trim, doors, trunk and hood, I might as well paint a color I like. Right now I'm buying all the pieces I want to replace. Hopefully by summer my car will look a lot different!

I'll keep you posted.

Jim

1973 2002 Fjord "LB"

Colin,

You have inspired me! I've been wanting to repaint my car, but didn't want to spend the $$$$$ having a shop do it. I decided to paint it myself! I also decided to change the color. Instead of Chamonix, I'm painting it Fjord. I figured if I'm going to spend the time and money replacing all the rubber seals on the car, removing the trim, doors, trunk and hood, I might as well paint a color I like. Right now I'm buying all the pieces I want to replace. Hopefully by summer my car will look a lot different!

I'll keep you posted.

Jim

That's great! I was pretty happy with my final result, but honestly, I had to rush. I was doing it all in my mom's driveway (I live in an apartment so I can't do it at home) so I couldn't spend much time block sanding and what not.

Be sure to post pics!