• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Rolling Resto

Colin

What is the difference between epoxy primer, and primer surfacer?

Is primer surfacer the same as primer filler?

I need to get all these terms down.

Justin

The epoxy primer is a sealer that goes on first, directly on the metal. It protects against rust and provides a substrate for all the other paints. The primer surfacer is the sanding primer that goes on over the bondo (filler). It is what you apply before the color coat.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I’ve started working on the interior, finally. Here are the armrests before and after dye. I used some of the cheap Duplicolor $6 spray dye. I just wiped the pieces down with some mineral spirits and soapy water. They came out great.

[/img]

post-9983-13667602448996_thumb.jpg

post-9983-13667602450088_thumb.jpg

Dude.

Someone hit me and bashed in the nose. Pics to follow...

SHIT!

can you fix it?

With a vengeance! At least I hope so. I think its repairable. The important thing is that line where the nose comes to a peak is still there. Its just bashed in around the sides of it. What's lame is that it is cold and raining here so I can't paint in that kind of weather, so I might just have to continue to look at the damage for weeks or months.

Here are the photos of where my nose was hit. I believe it happened in a shopping mall parking lot. It was heart breaking. In the second photo, you can see where I pounded out the bottom dent already. I still need to smooth it and repaint it, but structurally, its fine now.

03-07-09_1508

03-07-09_1559

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. all that hard work then someone does this . I take it no one left there number ?

Yeah no one left their number. This is actually the 2nd time the nose was hit since I finished painting it. The 1st was my neighbor, actually, but he didn't take responsibility. Its really sad the way some people are! The feeling it leaves you with is terrible.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. all that hard work then someone does this . I take it no one left there number ?

Yeah no one left their number. This is actually the 2nd time the nose was hit since I finished painting it. The 1st was my neighbor, actually, but he didn't take responsibility. Its really sad the way some people are! The feeling it leaves you with is terrible.

With the similarity in the front ends of our cars, you're really making em never want to take mine out of the garage now... Good luck with the repairs man. I take it there was no insurance involvement?

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I take it there was no insurance involvement?

I opted to avoid the insurance co. in this instance even though I have comprehensive coverage. Because I have the materials already (tools, left over paint, etc) I can fix it for pretty cheap.

I think the hit came down to bad luck, really. Someone pulled in way to far in the stall in front of the car in a mall parking lot. Just plain horrible driving. The trouble with our cars is that they sit quite low compared to an SUV, which is what I am quite sure hit it. Lame.

• 2 weeks later...

03-21-09_16271

I picked up a pretty decent looking chrome rear bumper finally. Its certainly not perfect but its straight and looks good from 2 feet away. I still need to finish drilling out some of the mounting holes, but its looking much better than no bumper at all. I'm just waiting for someone to hit it!

I also got a Getrag 240 5 speed transmission. This is less common than the usual Getrag 245, but its much more compact and also a few pounds lighter so that makes it more attractive to me. I'm not building any sort of high horse power engine so the aluminum selector forks should be plenty strong.

I still need to find someone to shorten my driveshaft since I don't have access to a lathe, but that seems to be the only major hurdle. I'll use the shift platform that I already have since I already rebuilt the shifter.

Next up are some new BBS wheels!

Here is the 5 speed after I picked it up.

03-21-09_1447

I got some "Purple Power" cleaner and went to work with a brush and the power washer and everything cleaned up nicely.

03-21-09_1543

nice score on the bumper.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but aren't the 240's missing a speedo cable drive? I thought cars with those transmissions had the speedo provision in the diff... I have a 240 sitting in my garage (I think...) and I ended up hunting down a 245 for that reason.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

nice score on the bumper.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but aren't the 240's missing a speedo cable drive? I thought cars with those transmissions had the speedo provision in the diff... I have a 240 sitting in my garage (I think...) and I ended up hunting down a 245 for that reason.

The tranny came out of a late model 320 so it still has the mechanical drive. From what I've read, it didn't go to a electronic speedo until the E30.

I picked up some 15x7 ET24 BBS Euroweaves today. These basically look like the 14s that everyone sees but they came off a Euro 323. The rims need some straightening and obviously to be refinished, but I'm very excited to get them on the car. I can finally get my brakes fixed up after they go on, too.

2489939441_e3215a01b3_b

img_1055

alfa1