• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do the fenders join to the nose?

blue7500

i used an aluminum-filled bondo on mine. it is still subject to hairline cracks, but so far, so good. available at Finish Masters in San Rafael and other suppliers, or eastwood.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I actually have made a visible seam up there on the last 2 cars I re- nosed.

It takes a bit of bodywork, but then when a fender has to come off,

it's just bolts.

On one car I ran a small bolt through to attach and align,

but on the race car, it's just a butt joint. A little seam sealer,

and it's held up for 2 years. And I do hit things occasionally...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Factory method was two mig tack welds, if even that, and then slather on the factory equivalent of bondo, lead.

We prefer fully welding the seam because the business is hazardous enough without lead or even no lead solder involved. Factory was trying to save 20 seconds per car doing it this way, they were not perfectionists nor building cars for the ages. If you prefer ease of replacement vs originality, do the seam method that replicates the lower seam. Bondoing the seam with no welding will only lead to cracks later on, and hence, completely wasted efforts.

Pic of one owner-no accident-never replaced fender or nose after the lead is melted out:

P1010053.jpg

Note how factory "craftsman" beat the fender tip in. You ought to see the work we see on the rear roof seam just above the C pillar.

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

This is tough. Fit it nicely. Usually to within 1/3 mm or so offset.

Use enough weld "heat" (voltage) where you do not burn through, but enough so that you have adequate penetration. Do this with clean enough metal so that there are no "volcanoes" or porous "pops". Then grind it back to level the surface to the enough so that the weld is gone but ther is enough metal so it can flex but wont crack...

Its super tough because experience is the best teacher...and this is a weld that is easy to make compared to a nice butt weld. Do some practice on flanged pieces that mimic what you are trying to do. Cannot emphasize cleanliness or material enough.

Matt

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

Understood. Sorry bud.

Just do the fitting as close as you can in the metal, you may have to do some creative work to get them to fit nicely depending on the accident history of the car. Make up for what you can't do in metal with some good fiberglass reinforced plastic. Fit the fender to the door and then do all the nose related work. Just do not cover anything that can get air or water infiltration from the back with plastic or it will come back to bite you badly

Make sure the fender and nose are primed well where the joint is so you don't have rust creep out from behind that joint. Do not under any circumstances cover that joint with bondo or plastic of any type even if it looks good now, it will crack and fail shortly if not welded.

Easier said than done, just tread carefully and know that the best way to do it is to weld it.

The

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911