• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood prop ideas?

powelli

Pinepig, that looks great.

It looks like I could make a bracket to mount to the area where the top of the inner fender meets the nose panel. I wonder if I could use a shorter one and make it mount to the torsion bar mount on the hood

John

I looked at that and it didn't appear that the rods would move at all if you mount the lower bracket where I did, and you pretty much don't have a choice to put them any farther forward anyway because the hood pinches in as you go farther forward leaving no clearance for the shocks or the brackets.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Mr. Pine,

Any chance you could put together a "kit" for the rest of us? Personally I would like to get rid of all that "torsion bar" stuff.

Justin

It's really not worth making a kit, the only extras from the stuff in the hood shock packages are 2 large washers, 4 bolts and nuts and 2 " brackets " that could be hacked out with a hacksaw, 3 holes drilled in them and finished up with 5 min of file work. The hardest part is not making the bracket, it's getting a nut on the backside of the top ball joint ( fiddly fucker ).

BTW I got the aluminum angle at Orchard Supply Hardware in their cute little metal supply rack, I think it was 8$ for a 3 foot length, 1 1/4" x 1 1/4".

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Hi Pinepig, i was just thinking about doing this the other day, looks really nice, bet it saves a bit of weight too. Could i trouble you to do a sketch of the dimensions of the gas struts, just to clarify. Also does it say what the force is on the strut.

Again, nice job man..

I would measure the spacing between the holes and cut a piece of stainless 3/16" flat stock long enough to fish in from the adjacent opening.

Drill and tap the holes. Or I would cut a shorter piece drill and tap it and have a volunteer TIG weld a chunk of 1/8" rod to it to use to locate it from that opening. You could use steel but be sure to paint or powder coat it.

Hopefully there isn't any obstruction. Other suggestions include purchase weld nuts from McMaster Carr, drill out the hole and weld the weld nut in place.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Hi Pinepig, i was just thinking about doing this the other day, looks really nice, bet it saves a bit of weight too. Could i trouble you to do a sketch of the dimensions of the gas struts, just to clarify. Also does it say what the force is on the strut.

Again, nice job man..

They are 22" long struts ( what it would say on the package ) , the piston rod is 10" exposed when extended. I picked the softest strut I could find ( wish they would have had softer ones ) I'm guessing it took about 30#s of force to collapse it when I put one end against the floor at Pep Boys ( way overkill ).

To get the nut on the top ball joint I just put a piece of masking tape over the box end of the proper sized wrench, push the nut into the tape and it'll stay, fish it in the opening and thread the ball joint stud in.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

• 9 years later...

I'm a bit late to the party here, and I'm not looking to cause a stir, but this mod is even easier to do than Pinepig suggests.  The 10mm ball socket can be bolted directly to the nosepiece/inner fennder, foregoing the need for the bracket.  All that I had to do was trim off about 2.5cm of the rolled edge of the fender/rad support, and cut off the stock support bracket from the fender apron.  The upper mount is exactly as described.  I used p/n 735-1896 ball studs from NAPA, and p/n 819-6530 gas struts, also from NAPA.  You will need to shim the lower ball socket out to get adequate clearance. 

20180715_181335.jpg

20180715_181302.jpg

20180715_181324.jpg

• Like 5

Das Moneypit, an F20-swapped 1973

It may cost a few bucks more, but most all BMW hood shocks have BMW logo !!  

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

If your garage is responsible for the damage, the least they can do is fit the nutserts/rivnuts for you. If not, whatever you come up with, just watch you don't open the hood too far because you will cream your front grille.