• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just purchased! 1968 BMW 2002 Polaris 99% rust free!

rustdogbrown

'69, but apparently physically built after 1 Jan '69, so by law would have to have the headrests and side markers--but not the short neck diff, 3 speed heater blower or other little details. As with other running production changes, it appears that BMW didn't change everything at a single VIN number (altho the parts book would have you believe that), but just used up old style parts and then switched. This is probably what happened with your car--that, and the law.

The best example of using up parts is chrome vs black painted front seat recliners on roundies. I've seen 72's and '73s with both black and chrome recliners, indicating the seat mfg used up stock and shipped 'em to BMW. ThenBMW took the seats out of their warehouse in no particular order and installed 'em in cars being assembled. I've noticed this with other parts too--a lower VIN number car with a "late" part and a higher VIN number car with an "early" part--and not done by an owner, but the factory.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

--but not the short neck diff, 3 speed heater blower or other little details.

mike

heater blower (and CV joints on both ends of the half shafts), but the rest of the drivetrain stuff was normal series I - long neck diff, 6 bolt crank, sliding center driveshaft, etc.

When we went through the engine a couple of years ago, an E21 head and 8 bolt crank & flywheel were installed, but all of the original parts were boxed up and put away along with the original 4 speed, steel wheels, bus steering wheel and other parts. With the recent value appreciation of early cars, saving all that stuff may yet to prove to have been a good move - I remember a lot of 356 guys crying the blues when prices of correct, stock cars went stratospheric a few years ago, and they couldn't find correct A or B engines and drum brakes to return their 912 engined, disc brake hot rods to their orginal configurations.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

My car HAD headrest seats, the extra side markers, 3 speed blower motor, non embossed front beltline trim (69) and a smooth dash. Also had dual circuit 4 piston brakes, short neck diff, 121ti head and 6 bolt crank and early oil pump.

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades