• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mike in Beavercreek, OH Q's about Krylon

74tiiGolf

You used Krylon clearcoat on some wheels. I need to clearcoat some wheels and was hoping for some specific directions or things NOT to do. Never painted wheels before but just got a set of refurbished ones and want to protect them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

When I painted my steel wheels, I merely primered 'em (after sanding) with some Rustoleum primer. They had little rust spots on 'em even after I sanded, so was being careful. I then put a couple of coats of Krylon "dull aluminum" paint on em. They're still looking good several years later. I didn't clearcoat the steel wheels--that's just my preference, primarily because 95% of a roundie wheel is covered by the hubcap. You can clearcoat, though. Krylon makes a "crystal clear acrilic" coating that's compatible with their color spray paint.

On my factory alloys, I did clearcoat (as above) over the Dull Aluminum paint, because the factory wheels were done that way. I have one new wheel with its original paint, and it has clear over the silver paint (somewhat yellowed with age).

A wheel painting trick is to balance the wheel on a jack stand-- and scooch around the wheel with your spray can. If you have a big old bearing (I used a VW tranny differential bearing) you can put it between the wheel and the jackstand, and slowly rotate the wheel while spraying. Much easier than moving the wheel, and less likely to cause runs.

Hope that helps; happy painting.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you! The runs problem was what I was worried about. Seems like every time I spray paint something I end up with runs but most of the time, it doesn't matter. This time, it most certainly does!

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

Matthew:

I've had good results painting wheels with them lying "flat"...best if elevated on a box or something solid. Key is "no wind" and low humidity. DO NOT paint in the direct sunlight.

Best results are achieved with several coats and the last coat thick almost to the point of running but not to that point....you will walk a fine line there, but will get best results that way. Runs are bad, but so is alot of overspray/orange peel look. One reason powder coating is popular is it removes the orange peel look. But, with practice, spraying will get you the look you want.

Just don't hurry the process....maybe practice on an old wheel first.

Just a few thoughts from an old timer who has painted more wheels than I care to think about (and all the work) :-)

Good Luck,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Funny you should mention that... I am going to paint up 5 steelies this weekend using Krylon dull aluminum rattle can paint AFTER using some Rustoleum primer. I had the wheels sandblasted for $100 a few days ago. (Thanks to Karl H. for the wheels!) My project won't cost me a whole lot more than the $100 spent sandblasting them. (not counting the new Avid T-4's, of course.)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz