• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So..How hard is it to find a ti airbox?

mtriple

they show up occasionally on German eBay.

expect to pay through the nose for shipping.

be aware that there IS a difference between the 2000ti box and the 2002ti airbox, the 2000ti box being slightly longer and without the indentation necessary to clear the brake booster and the four air inlet ports are not angled like the 02ti box.

what's even harder than finding the 02ti airbox, is finding one with the correct endpieces. there's a wide range of mixmatched endpieces added to the airbox which show up for sale.

btw, i was heartened to read in another post, that you were able to get your single-barrel solex carbed car up to 100mph without effort. i need to tweak mine, i guess. mine just doesn't seem to have the snort to do quite that fast yet. not that i'd do that more than once or twice anyway.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I have both an 02 Ti airbox, as well as a 2000 Ti airbox. 02 box on the left. 2000 box on the right.

Realize that to correctly mount the airbox, you also may have to move/modify your battery tray, as well as add (weld) some vertical mounts or a bracket near your brake fluid bottle to support the box.

post-2706-13667595405167_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I stumbled across a 2000ti airbox a few years back for $75 and finally modified it to fit my 02 this past summer. It is not a small task. You need to cut the bottom of the can and create a relief to clear the booster, and cut and reweld all four of the outlets to get the proper angle to feed the carbs. I had to get it even lower over the booster in order to clear my strut brace.

I'm running it without the end caps right now; eventually I will modify the front one to take air from directly behind the left grill, and leave the rear one off due to clearance issues. Both filters are mounted with bolts through the top of the filter attached to nuts I welded in on the inlets of the can.

I mounted it to the strut brace mount via a custom bracket that bolts to the factory mounting points on the can. The rubber boots to connect it to the air horns were fabricated from 2.5" pipe couplings - they are very short but seem to seal well and provide a pretty straight shot into the carb throats.

If you want pics of the specifics let me know and I'll take some when I get a chance.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

they show up occasionally on German eBay.

expect to pay through the nose for shipping.

be aware that there IS a difference between the 2000ti box and the 2002ti airbox, the 2000ti box being slightly longer and without the indentation necessary to clear the brake booster and the four air inlet ports are not angled like the 02ti box.

what's even harder than finding the 02ti airbox, is finding one with the correct endpieces. there's a wide range of mixmatched endpieces added to the airbox which show up for sale.

btw, i was heartened to read in another post, that you were able to get your single-barrel solex carbed car up to 100mph without effort. i need to tweak mine, i guess. mine just doesn't seem to have the snort to do quite that fast yet. not that i'd do that more than once or twice anyway.

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip. I realized that the bottom of the 02ti one looks different. I will keep my eyes open.

Regarding my Solex, I could indeed go more than 100mph I kid you not. I just had to stop as the noise was a bit scary. One thing that helped was the fact that I rebuilt it myself and understood how it worked. You think yours need a rebuild? I am a noob and was OK with it. I snapped so many pictures along the way and can upload the pics if you are interested?

Thanks

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

I have both an 02 Ti airbox, as well as a 2000 Ti airbox. 02 box on the left. 2000 box on the right.

Realize that to correctly mount the airbox, you also may have to move/modify your battery tray, as well as add (weld) some vertical mounts or a bracket near your brake fluid bottle to support the box.

Interesting. Before I venture more into this: what are the benefits of the ti airbox over other applications? besides of course the oem look.

Hamada

I stumbled across a 2000ti airbox a few years back for $75 and finally modified it to fit my 02 this past summer. It is not a small task. You need to cut the bottom of the can and create a relief to clear the booster, and cut and reweld all four of the outlets to get the proper angle to feed the carbs. I had to get it even lower over the booster in order to clear my strut brace.

I'm running it without the end caps right now; eventually I will modify the front one to take air from directly behind the left grill, and leave the rear one off due to clearance issues. Both filters are mounted with bolts through the top of the filter attached to nuts I welded in on the inlets of the can.

I mounted it to the strut brace mount via a custom bracket that bolts to the factory mounting points on the can. The rubber boots to connect it to the air horns were fabricated from 2.5" pipe couplings - they are very short but seem to seal well and provide a pretty straight shot into the carb throats.

If you want pics of the specifics let me know and I'll take some when

I get a chance.

Thanks Andre,

Would love some pics when you get a chance. That would be great.

Hamada

Good question. I bought them primarily to make a look-alike Ti with my dual webers. I bought the 2000 ti airbox, thinking that I would never find an 02 Ti airbox. Then - about a month later, got the 02 Ti airbox on E-bay. It even came with the correct air horns and the correct rubber sleeves! I was pretty lucky.

But - I haven't gotten that far yet - and I'm a little reluctant to do the bodywork necessary to mount the Ti box (the bracket that would need to be welded or bolted in). So - I'm waffling.

The DBilas airbox comes to mind - 'cause it is kind of sexy, but I haven't totally made up my mind yet....

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Good question. I bought them primarily to make a look-alike Ti with my dual webers. I bought the 2000 ti airbox, thinking that I would never find an 02 Ti airbox. Then - about a month later, got the 02 Ti airbox on E-bay. It even came with the correct air horns and the correct rubber sleeves! I was pretty lucky.

But - I haven't gotten that far yet - and I'm a little reluctant to do the bodywork necessary to mount the Ti box (the bracket that would need to be welded or bolted in). So - I'm waffling.

The DBilas airbox comes to mind - 'cause it is kind of sexy, but I haven't totally made up my mind yet....

If I get a tii booster, the DBilas airbox would be my choice for sure. That thing is amazing...Its been on my mind. I just need to justify the cash since I just poured a big chunk on the conversion...

Hamada

The advantages of the ti airbox are that it fits (sort of - see above) and that it is pretty well-designed to take maximum advantage of the available space. If you have sidedrafts and you want to run proper air horns, you need some kind of an airbox unless you want to use the sock filters, which I hate and some have suggested create unwanted turbulence in the intake flow. The plenum of the ti airbox is fairly large (even after modification of the 2000ti unit) and provides fairly smooth air in a pretty straight line to the carbs, allowing for nice even mixture from throat to throat. With the filters far from the air horns, flow disruptions should be minimized. I noticed some improvement in the midrange power on my car when I installed the airbox.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

The advantages of the ti airbox are that it fits (sort of - see above) and that it is pretty well-designed to take maximum advantage of the available space. If you have sidedrafts and you want to run proper air horns, you need some kind of an airbox unless you want to use the sock filters, which I hate and some have suggested create unwanted turbulence in the intake flow. The plenum of the ti airbox is fairly large (even after modification of the 2000ti unit) and provides fairly smooth air in a pretty straight line to the carbs, allowing for nice even mixture from throat to throat. With the filters far from the air horns, flow disruptions should be minimized. I noticed some improvement in the midrange power on my car when I installed the airbox.

Excellent. Thanks Andre.

wait are these filters available?

Hamada