• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teaching someone to drive a 2002 (long)

dubois

My next door neighbor and very good friend, had her niece and her fiance visiting on holiday from the UK for two weeks. I soon find out that this guy is a car guy too, so I tell him that I have a few cars, and the roads here are perfect for some spirited driving. I invite them to go for a drive in our cars the next day (Sunday), more as a gesture of appreciation to my friend, basically I offer to entertain her guests for a day. The next day he shows up alone (the niece decides that shopping is more her cup of tea). Ok we start at 9:30 and end at 3:30 (with a lunch break) we do the entire Cienega Rd loop and 2 Quien Sabe's, in all we drive 5 different cars.

The modern cars are not a problem, as he drives a Crossfire in the UK, and done one track school, but as soon as he gets in my 72 tii A4, I see that he really doesn't feel confident, so I started teaching the in's and out's. When to shift, keeping the revs high, what line to take, when to break, when to accelerate, how to feel the lsd kick in and how to steer with it, how to set it on a turn, etc, etc. The funny thing, is that, seating on the passenger seat the dynamics are entirely different. Pretty soon I start learning some things myself! Soon after, Phil is making all the right moves, and I keep saying"excellent, excellent". We get to the top of QS and both say WOW! Let's get down and pick up the next one!

I highly recommend your own 02's as a tourist attraction!

Another happy customer:

Hosting provided by FotoTime

FAQ Member # 91

Michael and I had a "spirited ride" up the QS Road in a 210 hp Dinan modified Mini a couple of years ago...in the rain. Remember the wild turkeys?

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Your 02's make a wonderful tourist attraction. Even Mary (not a car person) thought that riding around in your A4 tii and Alpina tii was a fantastic time. I had so much fun driving those tii's, I'll never forget it. I loved the tour of the "Tuscan villa" your neighbor is building. That's the life, surrounded by vineyards and a hilltop villa! Michael & his wife, Laura, are great hosts, so this UK fellow was certainly shown a very fine time.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

You have a place to stay..... our new house, kinda great. Good wine. Master guest suite. Convinced? I hope to see you here...... Stay Friday and/or Saturday night. Maybe a drive on Sunday?

John

SoCalVintageBMW.com

quikbimmer@gmail.com

John Barlow Los Angeles, Ca.

John@VintageMotorsportGroup.com

EBay: NeueKlasseBMWs

O==00==O

www.SoCalVintageBMW.com

www.VintageMotorsportGroup.com

Vintage BMW Source

Motorsport Legends

Groma Race Fabrication

You have a place to stay..... our new house, kinda great. Good wine. Master guest suite. Convinced? I hope to see you here...... Stay Friday and/or Saturday night. Maybe a drive on Sunday?

John

SoCalVintageBMW.com

quikbimmer@gmail.com

Oh, he is coming alright.....I'm putting him up Friday nite in Santa Barbara, (cheap wine and lumpy beds) and Saturday unless you convince him to stay in LA. Everyone needs to drive down the coast into LA at sunrise, quite spectacular. Gonna be a great meet.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Glad to hear it!

NO ONE putting together an event like this should be as ridiculously excited as I am! So much going on. I agree, this is going to be a great event! I wish I could also enjoy the beautiful early morning drive down the coast to the show. It sounds unbelievable! I have seen it before, and will never get tired of the experience. Have you signed up? We are loosing it trying to get counts, so we don't come up short on food, T shirts, etc.....

See you soon!

JB4

John Barlow Los Angeles, Ca.

John@VintageMotorsportGroup.com

EBay: NeueKlasseBMWs

O==00==O

www.SoCalVintageBMW.com

www.VintageMotorsportGroup.com

Vintage BMW Source

Motorsport Legends

Groma Race Fabrication

Glad to hear it!

NO ONE putting together an event like this should be as ridiculously excited as I am! ...... Have you signed up?

I am very excited about it. I think I was the 1st or 2nd to sign up..Got enough manpower for the event??

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

John

SoCalVintageBMW.com

quikbimmer@gmail.com

Thanks John, I am working hard on Laura to join me on the trip. Fri in SB and Sat in LA sounds good to me. I"ll keep working her, it is just more fun with my better half...

FAQ Member # 91