• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show 'em as you drive 'em, not as you repair 'em . . .

f1reverb

Keep your hood and turnk lids shut at the show most of the time. I hate shows where the overall view of cars is spoiled by open trunks and hoods, and these days most show attendees are not mechanically inclined anyway so they'd have no interest. I rarely take a photo of a car with an open hood or trunk. This show isn't a concours so no one will care if your engine and trunk are dirty, and then you won't get scratches with people leaning over to get a better look at your thermostat housing.

I agree that an open hood/trunk spoils the view and messes up great photo ops - but personally, a nicely done engine bay* is my favorite part of any 2002, at ANY show.

* criteria:

tidy

safe

reliable in appearance

clean

original (or well thought out and modified)

detail of refinished hardware / mechanismns

...and big Mo'F &*in' intake systems...toot my horn Big Time!

not:

butchered/rushed/sloppy/firehazardly/careless/dangerous/filthy/or slathered in bling that belongs on a Firebird or a Monte Carlo.

...but then again - if everyone shared my taste - what a damn boring world this would be!

Paul Wegweiser

post-2748-13667595777971_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Yummmmm....I spy an ALFA! Nice stablemates!

OH! - Mr. Beaumont: I just noticed the linkage on your DCOEs....Oh PLEASE tell me where I might purchase this beautifully made assembly! Looks like it came right off a vintage Formula / Sportsracer machine!!!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Unless you have something like a S14, M20, A4, turbo, etc. Actually, I tend to agree with you... maybe a little note on the car saying, feel free to open, close it after inspection...that sounds like a bad idea actually... ok maybe half the show with the hood open half with it closed???

FAQ Member # 91

Try telling that to some Bimmer show participants - how else you gonna know they are running 4 15" subs, 1000 watts and have 3 tvs in the trunk unless they have the lid up? LOL!

WBeaumont - nice Alfa - I too have an 02 and an Alfa ('86 Spider) in my stable. If Alfa stops delaying their return to the US maybe my friends will finally understand why I have it!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

4 15" subs

Actually, it's only three ten's - and in addition to opening my hood, trunk, doors, back windows, glove box, and taking off the valve covers, I complete the display by unzipping my fly to show the fourth ten.

Obviously, this thread fails to take into consideration that it is a REQUIREMENT at EVERY Q-Tip contest, that the participants open up every available hinged component, and then stand around with their hands in their pockets saying things like, "nice Megasquirt." Honest Injun - I swear that 'dems the rules. If you don't "open sez-a-me," the white-glove crew scribbles down disparaging comments on their score sheets and sends you unceremoniously on your way back home, trophy-less once again. It may be harsh, but hey, life is unfair.

4 15" subs

Obviously, this thread fails to take into consideration that it is a REQUIREMENT at EVERY Q-Tip contest, that the participants open up every available hinged component, and then stand around with their hands in their pockets saying things like, "nice Megasquirt." Honest Injun - I swear that 'dems the rules. If you don't "open sez-a-me," the white-glove crew scribbles down disparaging comments on their score sheets and sends you unceremoniously on your way back home, trophy-less once again. It may be harsh, but hey, life is unfair.

I'm sorry, did you say four tenths.....

There will be NO Q-Tips or White Gloves at the SoCal Vintage BMW meet. Just drive it thru a gas station carwash or hose the car off a week before meet.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

especially if it's not stock.

A nice clean stock engine is cool but I want to see an M20/M30/S14/M42/SBC/Mazda rotary etc... suspension mods, strut bar, Megasquirt, crank-fire ignition, a different radiator, or any other modifications that people do to customize their car to their liking.

Trunks are not that interesting unless there is something neat to see like a suspension mounting point relocation, a fuel filler relocation in the trunk, a cool setup for a battery or anything else cool like that. Amps, subs and screens belong in a living room.

See you all Saturday, hood up or down... it will be a nice show. (No q-tips.)

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

on what is being judged and how the organizers want the car displayed. Some and most shows are not clear on the display rules, Hemmings Concours wanted hoods and trunks closed for photography reasons but would ask the exhibitor to open when judged then closed.

BMW Oktoberfest was very specific in what was to be open and how much, i.e. hoods and trunks open with spare tires and floor board and tools out on the ground, windows down two inches, glove box and ashtrays open, etc. etc. etc

Other shows really don't care and leave the exhibitors trying to find out at the last minute what to do.

Show and shines, exhibitors are all over the place on what they do.

To be safe, the organizers should post the requirements when the event is announced and make rules or expectations clearly known.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5