• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOW !

pkbinplano

Hey, PKB. Can you give us a quick how-to on how you did this? My shifter bushings wore out during the 1st Bush administration and I really need to replace them! Thanks!

Dave

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

For me it was in 2 stages: First, a shifter rebuild which helped, but wasn't a total cure. Secondly, a new clutch, which made a gigantic difference. No slop, no grind, but smooth through all gears.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I was lucky. My 5 speed was mated to the old style shifter and platform. ( that looks like it's been modified to a short shifter) I replaced item numer 19 ( need two ) at the very bottom of the shift lever, my bushings were shot so the dowl pin item 20 came out easily after you remove a set screw holding it in. ( not shown) also replaced two dowel pins located at the front of item 21 selector rod. If yours are not loose they are a bitch to get out. Mine came out with a magnet AFTER you remove item 4 sleeve. I also got two tower bushings ( bushings for the platform, item 5 they call it a tower) but those are such a bitch , you have to remove the entire thing to replace them, I passed as mine are good. Best thing to do is call Jeramy at IE and tell him what kind of shifter you have, he has all the part numbers. If you have the later shifter I hear there is a " clip from hell" thats a SOB to reinstall. I lubed everything with spray lithium including items 11-17 ( that doesn't need to be removed) . It's now snick snick shift instead if slush slush shift. From first to second it's only like 3 inches. Plus my shifter doesn't shake at red lights. Link to realoem shifter

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2552&mospid=47140&btnr=23_0775&hg=23&fg=15

I installed the 4-speed shifter update kit available from 2002 Haus. My old bushings were beat after being pummeled from a bad tranny seal. The most difficult part (for me) was making sure the shifter bracket was aligned correctly to the back of the trans.

Also - make sure to push up on the "biscuit" enough to keep the driveshaft away from the shifter coupling.

post-8235-1366759590392_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667595904709_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667595905498_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"