• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm looking at a 76 this week, what do you think? UPDATE

JCG

Update

Checked it out yesterday...shownuff, it has too much rust for me. The owners seem like genuine folks from our phone conversations and may ust not be car people. They were nice enough to permit me to look thru the car even though nobody was home. My best guess, the car was hit by the previous owner several years ago, when it was RED, and decided to pull it apart and paint it grey, a very nice grey I must say. Lots of bondo at the door bottoms and rockers. The entire rear of the drivers side rocker is mess as well as the front of the passenger side. lots of bubbles at the bottom of the windshield. Floors and trunk appear ok and one of the towers has been welded. Interior is old but nice with no cracks. Its a shame, I was pretty exceited. Oh, the front wheels don't sit the same in the wells. thanks for the help.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/885069765.html

I've been looking for a car for a while: this might finally be the car for me.

I know this is a hard one to answer but any advice is appreciated. I'll try to post pics. Nope, no pics of the rust were given. The price is at the top of my limit and I'm very interested since its less than an hr away. Priced about right? I'm thinking yes if the machanicals are all good and the rust is just slight surface?

Thanks in advance

Jim

post-2919-13667596339649_thumb.jpg

post-2919-13667596340671_thumb.jpg

post-2919-13667596341674_thumb.jpg

'71 2002 Riviera adopted on 2/09

Jim, any details? Price? Cond.? Mileage? Stock? RUST?? Wrecked?? What's broken? What's fixed/new/modified? Does it run? Does it smoke? Has it been sitting around for the past 12 years? Is the owner a FAQ'er or a crackhead? AND, where are you & where's the '02? You may be able to get expert help from somebody here on the FAQ board.... Plenty of folks are HTH. (EDIT) --- D'OH! I see the CL ad now. Some of the Q's are answered, but many are still unanswered... Good luck.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Smooth move, I forgot to post the craigslist link. What?You guys aren't mind readers?

The seller hasn't been very detailed in his description and emails. The ad is basically all I've got. $4300 is the asking price and its been on CL for a few weeks.

The car is just west of Boston and I'm in Gloucester.

Jim, $4300 is a lot unless it's got plenty of good news to go with it. (engine rebuilt, or new paint, no rust, or all new suspension, --- something like that) You need to size up the owner: did he take care of it? is he a wingnut? is he trustworthy when he tells you it's a gem? Take an expert w/you to test-drive the '02. Look out for rust and bondo.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Agreed.

I have a bit of a sour taste already due to the great shape and tlc used in the same sentance. I'm not going with money, just a recon. I'll gather as much as possible and report back hopfully by the end of the week. Thanks

1. Seats (at least front drivers) is tired--gummihaar padding is nearly gone; seat will have to be re-stuffed before the springs poke thru the upholstery. Squarelights have lousy gummihaar compared to the early roundies; most have their original seat padding gone by now.

2. 76s (only) have a reputation for the front floorboard drain plugs rusting out. Examine the front footwells from underneath the car--esp in the area around those plugs--for rust. You don't want a Flintstonemobile. And of course check the usual 2002 rust spots--esp places road salt can lurk since it's a Mass car--door bottoms, rear wheel opening lip, rear shock towers, bottom of nose panel etc etc. You know the drill...

3. With 122k the engine should still be pretty tight, the tranny should work well, and the clutch will have been replaced. Check all. And remember, 76s (only) have a 3.90 diff, making 'em an ideal candidate for a 5 speed conversion.

As was pointed out, try and take a knowledgeable 02er with you--there are plenty in the area--four eyes are better than two. Also take a magnet to make sure it isn't a Bondo Bandito.

Good luck...hope it's a goodie (and for $4300 it should be needing minimal work to be a very nice, reliable driver)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite