• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Help Me Identify This BMW

lamaker

thank you....I don't need to replicate it that much...just get a general same look...I am going Saturday to look at a 2002 that has been parked in the same spot for at least 4 years now (since my mom moved into a house down the street) and it is light blue...I think an older lady lives there and does not drive it...I feel so sorry for the car, especially since another neighbor fixed up a 2002 right down the street...poor car has to look at that everyday..lol...see if I can get a steal....will let everyone know...

Robb Lamaker

...I feel so sorry for the car, ...poor car has to look at that everyday..lol...see if I can get a steal....will let everyone know...

Do yourself a HUGE favor, never, never feel sorry for a car. When restoring, your initial investment will pale to the total cost at the end of the restoration process. Whatever you do, buy the best you can afford.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Here are pictures of an early 1600-2 and an early 2002 scanned from "Das Grosse BMW-02-Buch". Only visible differences on the outside are the hub caps, the front grille and the badge. The badge is not readable, the discussion about the hubcaps is still alive, so the answer might be found in the front grille. Ask your mom if she has any pictures which show the front of the car. The early 1600-2 had plain aluminum front grilles, while the 2002 had black slats on the front grilles.

post-1349-13667596426597_thumb.jpg

post-1349-13667596427604_thumb.jpg

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

I actually saw this car at the dealer in Delft.

It was October 1969 and if I recall correctly this was a variant produced only from mid-July until late September in the Houndstooth factory of Sunbeam.

It seems as though the demand outstripped the supply so only 720 Sunbeam/BMW's were manufactured under contract.

This of course was one of the first Alpines, later on called "Alpinas".

The tooling was returned to Munich but the engine technology was adopted by Rover which discovered that by welding they could make the Rover 3500 V-8 as a modular variant of the 1502.

This car also had the skinny whitewall delete option.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin