• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

s14 vs s52

Pie21

Wrong and wrong, lol.

Do the math douche.

Fully dressed M10. Used a spring scale with +/- 1lb accuracy. But I made a mistake since this was the first time using a scale like this and I left the motor up in the air attached to the scale for 10 min before taking the picture. After I took the motor off, the scale was reading 9lbs even though i had zeroed it out before starting. So in essence the scale had a 9lb preload.

cimg2084.jpg

cimg2086.jpg

Fully dressed alum M52. I did not take this picture. Although the person who did stated he was missing the wiring harness and throttle body. I estimate those two parts at a combined 10lbs.

alumm52_345lbs.jpg

So 345 lbs for the M10 and ~340 lbs for the alum M52. So youre right I was wrong, the alum M52 is actually ~5lbs lighter than an M10.

And I assumed cutting out the radiator core support was a given for this type of project.

Just because you failed, doesnt mean that other people will.

Good on ya dilweed. I'll hand it to ya. Your hands on approach beats out my internet research. Fine. I definitely am not saying to not try it though. Far from that. I'm just trying to help the not so mechanically inclined such as myself. Monthly when this subject comes up over and over again, people talk about it like it's no big deal to throw it in there. That's all I was saying about that.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Monthly when this subject comes up over and over again, people talk about it like it's no big deal to throw it in there.

People ask the question because they aren't sure how hard it will be. My favorite folks are the ones that ask this kind of question and then ask how do you change the spark plugs in their very next post.

Like most projects of this scale if you have to ask, you won't even come close to being able to do it.

I'm actually debating an m50 swap into my 1600, of course it would have to be turboed, but I have so much respect for that little m10 motor, it just amazes me how much abuse a completely stock ( except for a MLS head gasket ) m10 will take ( it's cooler again in out area so I'm back to 24psi :-) ) I'm of the belief that you could get 400hp out of an M10 with just a set of forged pistons and a proper sized turbo, how much power do you really need in a 2000lb car?

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

what this thread really reveals is the need to source an all aluminium 4 cylinder... thoughts?

And that engine is right here: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/09/frankfurt2008-bmw-520i-170hp-20-liter.html

The new 520i engine. 125 kW (170 hp) at 6.700 rpm and max torque is 210 Nm at 4.250 rpm. Don't forget, this is a downtuned engine to meet BMW's new Efficient Dynamics goals. Takes a 1600 kg car to 100 km/h in less than 7 seconds.

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

what this thread really reveals is the need to source an all aluminium 4 cylinder... thoughts?

And that engine is right here: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/09/frankfurt2008-bmw-520i-170hp-20-liter.html

The new 520i engine. 125 kW (170 hp) at 6.700 rpm and max torque is 210 Nm at 4.250 rpm. Don't forget, this is a downtuned engine to meet BMW's new Efficient Dynamics goals. Takes a 1600 kg car to 100 km/h in less than 7 seconds.

so is that the N45 N engine? Wonder what it weighs?

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

As soon as somebody whacks one of those into a wall would you package a motor/tranny up and ship it over here for me.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

As soon as somebody whacks one of those into a wall would you package a motor/tranny up and ship it over here for me.

there will be plenty already - it's in the 1 and 3 series too. Not sure I've got a big enough jiffy bag though

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

there will be plenty already - it's in the 1 and 3 series too. Not sure I've got a big enough jiffy bag though

I'm spent. I've reached the end of the internet looking for the weight of the N45B20S. Either way, that's gotta be about the next coolest thing to an S14. Definitely something to think about once I'm ready for an insane journey again. Damn, you'd have to really go all out and remove everything else in the car to justify the cost and re-balance the weight. Intriguing.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot