• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 Thermal Reactor Question

JCG

I hope to see this car some time this week. http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/894705607.html

I know, thats pretty steep $, and it is a couple grand outside my budget but I'm going to be in the area, can't hurt to take a look.

What the hell is the dreaded thermal reactor on the 75's? I know about most typical emissions controls and how to bypass them but not this one, don't even know where to look. Can it be removed? Other than the bolt on emissions stuff, is the 75 engine really all that different and can it take reasonable modifications like any other year?

Thanks

Jim

'71 2002 Riviera adopted on 2/09

....air injection tubes in each exhaust port to cause the

exhaust gases to get HOTTER! - Simply remove the

Ex. manifold for a tii manifold, and the rest of the Air Pump, Check Valve, Vacuum switches, and connecting hoses and brackets.

The "EGR" system is even more important to 'throw

into the neighbors pool' before they cover it for the

winter. EGR dumps nasty carbon building krapp into

your intake track - really fouling up the intake ports,

Intake valves, and causes very poor running when the system is sick.

Have SAFE fun with the new car.

02Calif1976emissionsystem.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

And save all the stuff you take off - everything! Why? There are some of our CA friends who will need it and will buy it from you. I just sold the smog equipment from my '76 this week. BTW, once removed, mine ran like it had a six!

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

I'd definitely save the emmisions and probably sell it, I know the CA folks need it.

Thanks for the diagram, I'll print it.

Anyone take a look at the ad. Its vague but the seller has given me a little more info. He bought it in CA in 86 with 70 something thousand miles, had it shipped and now it only has 80 something, ended up being like 19000 miles in the last 22 years. Said to be completely origional and always garaged. Apparently needs some work, which doesn't bother me unless you look at the $6500 price tag.

$6,500 should buy a lot of car. make sure you get a real good one for that price or pay a lot less. My 75 was 98.5 % rust free, drove great and had an clean interior w/ nice reccaros, a new header, 32/36 weber carb, & new radio for $3,500. Even had all bumbers, trim, and seals in good shape back in 2003. Even so over 5 years I replaced just about the entire suspension and rebuilt an engine.

In addition when and if you remove the smog stuff remember the thermal reactor IS the exhaust manifold so you will need a header or non thermal manifold to replace it. More $

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

That's a very, very nice specimen. If it's as good as it looks and sounds, that price may not be too bad. Of course, some negotiation would be in order. Do some searching in the forum on what to look for, i.e., rust, etc. Or send me (fwardell@bellsouth.net) an e-mail, and I'll reply with an 02 buyer's guide. Here are some pictures of my smog stuff removed. Also, go to www.realoem.com, put in your VIN (or year, model, etc.) and pull up the following somg equipment diagrams: 11/65a, 11/68. 11/69, 11/72, and 11/73c. You'll have as much fun working on that new '02 as driving it!

post-9429-13667596787703_thumb.jpg

post-9429-13667596789444_thumb.jpg

1976 2002 Inka

Thanks for all the info.

I can't afford $6.5 k, max is around 4 or so and it would have to be really nice, rust wise, for even that price.

Looks like the smog stuff will shed some serious weight when removed.

I'll definitely post after I see the car, espeically if I want to make an offer.

YEP .

MY FIRST 2002 WAS A '75 . I WAS THE SECOND OWNER AND THE FIRST

GUY HAD DISCONNECTED A LOT OF THE EMMISSIONS STUFF .

IT WAS ALL THERE , JUST DISCONNECTED .

THE FIRST THING I DID TO THE CAR WAS TO REPLACE THE THERMAL

REACTOR WITH A HEADER .

THE SECOND THING WAS TO REPLACE THE SOLEX WITH A WEBER 32/36 .

THE THIRD THING WAS TO REMOVE EVERY UNNEEDED PART INCLUDING THE EGR AND SMOG PUMP , PUT IT IN A BOX BY THE CURB FOR THE GARBAGE MAN .

WHILE THIS DID SIMPLIFY THE ENGINE BAY AND LIGHTEN THE CAR BY

20 POUNDS , I CAME TO REGRET STEP # 3 IN A BIG WAY WHEN THEY

CHANGED THE INSPECTION LAWS HERE AND THEY WANTED TO SEE

THAT STUFF ON THE CAR !

LIVE & LEARN , THAT WAS THE 1980's AND I ENDED UP SELLING THE CAR OUT OF STATE . THE IRONY IN THAT IS THAT THEY NO LONGER REQUIRE IT SO I SOLD A CAR I WANTED TO KEEP OVER A BUNCH OF

BUREAUCRATIC BALONEY .

I MISS # 2364052

reodor.gif

Like Mike_R, I bought a 75 for $3500. I immediately put a tii exhaust manifold on it. The other emission control junk was gone. Very little rust to be found. It needed brakes, struts/shocks, window seals, ball joints, tie rod ends and lots of small items, but no regrets. It already had a Weber and Hella H4's, no Recaros or 5-speed, though... For $6500, a 75 ought to be sorted out nicely IMO. I am still plugging away at deferred maintenance (PO) and old-age issues on mine, but it's been very dependable and fun to drive.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Rimspoke, my how things have changed. When I registered my '76 in NC back in February, the DMV woman said, "You're real lucky to have a 1976. You just made the cutoff for not having to have a smog inspection." I count my blessing every time I crank up.

1976 2002 Inka

Guest Anonymous

I thought one of the candidates wanted to start building thermal reactors as a means of becoming energy independent? But I am still stuck with the old roundlight technology. Did the Neu Klasse burn coal?

BTW, Why the caps?