• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do bodyshop owners almost always drive beaters!

dubois

Because we simply don't care! The thinking is that we can always have that, so what is the point? Or maybe we are too busy working on other people's cars, or perhaps is that we are really trying to make a living and there is no time for that. Or a combination of things... it is usually the same in every profession.

To me, it goes beyond that. I was really traumatized 15 years ago, when I first started the shop, by painting a car complete and after 6 months having to junk it! This car probably had the best paint job in the entire wrecking yard. A 76 530i, M3 red, Sikkens single stage, topped with Sikkens clear coat, blocked and polish to mirror finish. The car was stunning, the most beautiful paint job! The problem: the motor was "no bueno".

Since then, I swore I would never paint another car of mine, unless it proved to me that it was worthy of such honor and expense. So Bacchus, got a "quickie" when I first got it. We painted several 2002's after that, but Bacchus just watched.

To make a long story short, I got a guy sitting on his ass with not enough work to do these days, and I thought: "it is time!"

I started a blog for those interested in finding out why paint jobs are so expensive (I can hardly afford this one myself!): http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,551569/#551569

Hosting provided by FotoTime

FAQ Member # 91

Bacchus you deserves a top-notch paint job! I want to drive Bacchus once he's all shiny and sleek. Malaga, right? You're not going to join the Inka craze, are you? Anyhow, good luck perfecting the looks of Bacchus. :)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Bacchus you deserves a top-notch paint job! I want to drive Bacchus once he's all shiny and sleek. Malaga, right? You're not going to join the Inka craze, are you? Anyhow, good luck perfecting the looks of Bacchus. :)

Musta been hanging out with all those pretty 02s at SoCal vintage that inspired him.

CIMG3220.jpg

Inka???? Not likely. Hard to name an Inka car Bacchus. Maybe Julius?? No, that one has been taken. Delia still has rights to that name for a while.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

No offense, but there hasn't been a Sahara craze! Malaga is sometimes referred to as burgundy or wine-colored, so that's appropriate for Bacchus the god of wine.

So do you call a sahara car "Sandy"??

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours