• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 02: Shakes violently at 800rpm idle

ramayah

I had a similar problem with my 76. It was the transmission mount. It had broken in two. Also check the engine mounts to see if they are in good shape. Good luck.

David

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Perhaps you're only getting fire, air, and fuel to 2 or 3 of your 4 cylinders. I'd pull plug wires one at a time (carefully - ZAP!) to see if one or more of the cylinders is dead (ie: no change in idle quality).

could be:

a) bad plug wires, loose ends

B) fouled plugs

c) bad head gasket (especially if two adjacent cylinders are dead)

d) broken rocker arm, not opening valve

e) cracked distributor cap or rotor

Tired or broken mounts will also cause shaking - how's the drivaility and engine performance above 1800 rpm while moving? If it's fine - check for absence of ignition (spark) before tearing into carb or distributor/ignition timing.

Hope dis' heps!

Paul Wegweiser

"...heeeere kitty kitty kitty...."

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Paul covered most of the potential causes for this problem, but you didn't provide any context. For example, did you inherit the car in this condition? If not, did the probem develop suddenly or over time? The solution could be as simple as adjusting the idle mixture. If the cause is not obvious after doing the check Paul describes or inspection of the plugs/wires, a compression test would provide a wealth of info about whether you are dealing with a sound platform.

Also, just eyeballing the plugs will be informative. Does one look different from the others? If so, suspect that cylinder as the potential cause of your problem.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Thanks Paul for your advice.

The car runs great at highway speeds. A few months ago I replaced plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotors and it was idling fine. However, after sitting for a while without driving it and now I took it out it started giving me this problem. I'll pull the plugs and checked them for fouling and replaced if needed and see if I have better results. If not I'll check the mounts etc.

PS.

If the plugs are fouled what do I do then to keep them burning clean. And what would have caused them to foul. It's very possible that this might be the cause since it did not vibrate when I replaced the plugs some months ago.

Randy

Thanks Chris.

When I got the car 12 years ago It never gave me any problem. But over the years and not much driving it started developing hard starts and rough idling etc. Most of the time it sits in the driveway. Many times I changed the plugs because they are black soots on them. I didn't realize that the bad plugs could have caused the vibration. I will re-time it, fool around with the idle mixture and so forth and then it will start to idle normally again. time time it's really bad and I'm about to give up on it.

Anyway, tomorrow i'll check the plugs and report back to you kind people.

I apprecaite it.

Randy

From what you have said, it sounds like one cylinder is not firing right, so that would implicate a mechanical or ignition problem with a cylinder. Another problem with cars that sit for a long time is the buildup of shellac in the jets from deteriorating gasoline. You could have a partial obstruction in the idle circuit of the carb.

Black soot on the plugs generally indicates over-rich mixture, if you are talking about fluffy soot rather than oily soot. The could happen if your choke is not properly adjusted. Have you checked to make sure it is open all of the way when the motor is warmed up?

Timing generally doesn't go out of adjustment absent some cause. The most common cause is changing point adjustment, caused by point block wear which changes the dwell.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

as everyone has said, it sounds like a really bad misfire and maybe bad motor mounts. But never underestimate the effect of loose flywheel or clutch componants. Remove that bottom inspection plate and make sure that your friction pads are inplace and the bolts are all there. Just a thought.

remove carb top,

clean float bowl, clean all jets,

remove and clean idle jets on side of carb,

replace all tiny o-rings,

adjust dwell & timing

adjust idle mixture and idle sped

adjust valves

quality of gas ???

.....and any or all of the above aforementioned stuff

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Mine does it after sitting for a long time,hence the aforementioned build of crap in jets is the cause (it clears after some hard driving). And the mounts are pretty soft too! I would replace the motor mounts if they seem to be tired and rebuild the carb, plus tune the ignition seem up.

Also check for vacuum leaks. Sometimes the carb body bushings wear out (literally causing a vacuum leak), making it hard to adjust to lower rpm speeds.

68' 2002 DD

I checked the plugs and all are firing fine. I believe you are right; the carb needs rebuilding. I'll find a good shop and have it rebuilt or buy one on ebay. Meanwhile , I'll run it hard for 30 miles or so and see if the shakes go away.

the mounts are good and don't think it's the problem.

Thanks to all you kind folks.

Randy