• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestion on what battery to use

Hutton

I've been running an Interstate MT47 on my 72tii for a year. It fit with the battery hold-down that my car has, threaded tie-down hole on the long side.

Do a search to read prior discussions and, after you buy the battery, keep the receipt--I must have read every post on the topic and it still took me two tries and some profanity. tii battery trays are apparently different than standard 02s.

This is one of the many posts:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,295485/highlight,battery/

William

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

I like my Optima Red Top dry-cell battery. It costs a bit more than regular batteries, but should last a lot longer. I'm not sure of what size or model number it is. I have it mounted in the trunk in my TEP rear brace. I don't even use a Battery Tender like I do with my motorcycle--I just disconnect the negative cable every time I park it and it always fires right up. The battery is about five years old already!

Rob Capiccioni

1974 BMW 2002

2003 Ducati Monster 800S

2007 Acura TSX

haha, right you are William! The "new" brakes on my car were in ruins back in July 2003. No brake pads to speak of, a stuck caliper, oh, and a leaking wheel cylinder caused me some concern. Then I found that the front struts were no-name junk that had clearly been worn out for a decade or more! The tires had the consistency of a hockey puck. (AKA very old rubber) The balljoints were probably original to the car. I bought the car due to its being straight and nearly rust-free. I would do better spotting the flaws after 5+ yrs. of ownership. ( I hope ) ALSO: Yes, all is well here. Had a great time with the VA/NC 02'er's last weekend with 02BERFEST. Nice drive on Sat. and cookout Sat. eve. We had a very nice brunch together last Sun. am too. I won the longest distance travelled prize -- 400 miles from Kettering to Roaring Gap, NC. Great bunch of 02'er's...

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Sounds like you are having fun, Jim! Let us know when you are headed to California again; would be great to see you. We can come up with a medical term for PO Thought Process..."what was xyz thinking-itis?"

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

get an optima red top at costco for about $140.

my last one was $100 or so (probably 7 years ago or thereabouts) and i moved it to my mercedes when i stopped driving the 2002, and there it lived for about 4 more years, whereupon i had some alternator problems and replaced it under the impression that i had battery problems. i was wrong. and the price had gone up some.

'O=00=O'

Long Live The Legend.

You're not kidding... the PO of my '74 somehow managed to get his battery to explode, and replaced it with a deep cycle from a computer backup power supply! It must weigh 50+ pounds, has screw in connectors, and wasn't even tied down to the tray... Not to mention it's huge and heavy!

I'm planning on replacing it with a 8 or 14# Deka

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

I have a battery left over from my E30 M3 project. Interstate 58/50

I remember being able to switch the battery's from the E30 M30 and my 73 tii. Will the batter fit the 72 tii? ............I thought I'd ask before I go in and start scraping up my knuckles

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold