• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a little paint color trivia factoid

jerry

just thought i'd share a tidbit i learned yesterday.

according to my recent eBay acquisition: a vintage 1968 BMW 2002 Paint Color fold out pamphlet,

it appears that the color Colorado (described as deep orange, IIRC) was ONLY available, at that time at least, on 'ti' models.

metallic colors were an additional cost

was disappointed to see that my color chart did not include Turf. I'm guessing it was a 1600 color only.

There were only about 8-10 colors on this particular brochure.

just some mindless trivia to consider.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Nevada, Granada, Chamoix and (extra cost metallics) Polaris and correction--not Fjord but Baikal--I just checked. This was probably Max Hoffman's doing, as they were available in a wider range of colors in Europe.

Since US spec '02s from those two years have turned up in several different "1600 only" colors (Turf, Tampico, Florida, Bristol) our only guess is that these were ordered for overseas delivery (tourist, military, diplomatic) and thus bypassed Hoffman's (presumed) "five color" edict.

I remember being very disappointed at the color choice when I went to order my '69, since the cheaper and less well-equipped US spec 1600 was available in nearly a dozen colors. I ended up settling on Nevada 'cause it didn't show dirt!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nevada, Granada, Chamoix and (extra cost metallics) Polaris and Fjord. This was probably Max Hoffman's doing, as they were available in a wider range of colors in Europe.

Since US spec '02s from those two years have turned up in several different "1600 only" colors (Turf, Tampico, Florida, Bristol) our only guess is that these were ordered for overseas delivery (tourist, military, diplomatic) and thus bypassed Hoffman's (presumed) "five color" edict.

I remember being very disappointed at the color choice when I went to order my '69, since the cheaper and less well-equipped US spec 1600 was available in nearly a dozen colors. I ended up settling on Nevada 'cause it didn't show dirt!

mike

mike, any idea why Hoffman was such a "color Nazi" for the '02 during those years? i'm guessing to differentiate the 1602 from the 2002?

just thought i'd share a tidbit i learned yesterday.

according to my recent eBay acquisition: a vintage 1968 BMW 2002 Paint Color fold out pamphlet,

it appears that the color Colorado (described as deep orange, IIRC) was ONLY available, at that time at least, on 'ti' models.

metallic colors were an additional cost

was disappointed to see that my color chart did not include Turf. I'm guessing it was a 1600 color only.

There were only about 8-10 colors on this particular brochure.

just some mindless trivia to consider.

jerry, why don't you scan the brochure and share the pics with us? things like these would be great resources to have here in a special section in the FAQ, along with info in the great thread on 1600's

Golfie -There are a few color chats out there.

Robspeeds - Here under the 02faq - history and reference section.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/32/32/

Dagsites-

http://www.dagsites.com/2002colors.htm

I just found this on a big site, 02 restoration

http://www.02restoration.com/body-and-trim/bmw-2002-restoration-and-paint-color-chart

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

stock parts/trim/paint for only a few colors. "Exclusivity" might have played a role too--Honda only offered the CRX in three colors at first--red, white and blue.

The reason I heard that he never imported the Touring was that it meant stocking a bunch of Touring-unique parts, and hatchbacks were just starting to become popular in the US. Except for the Kaiser Traveler back in 1948, the first hatchback sold in the US was the Renault R-16, beginning in 1969, and it was a four door.

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hoffman did import other colors for `68/`69 2002s as demonstrated by my early `69 2002 in Manila which is supposedly a 1600 only color. It was not delivered overseas and then brought to the US, it was sold within 2 or 2 1/2 months of its build by Helane Motors in Alhambra CA.

post-9115-13667597244087_thumb.jpg

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

don't know a good answer. All the sales literature I have from 1968 and 1969--picked up at BMW dealers at the time--show 2002 availability in only the five colors I mentioned. I also have a letter from Hoffman Motors dated late 1968 in answer to my inquiry reiterating the available colors.

Perhaps the "non standard" colors were special orders...I also have European sales literature from the same period that shows a much wider range of colors.

Just another E114 mystery! Wonder if MT knows...

mike[/img]

There was also that Turf '68 2002 that was for sale this year in Oregon by Keith Martin of Sports Car Market....... It also had the earlier '66-67/NK side mirror.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Golfie -There are a few color chats out there.

Robspeeds - Here under the 02faq - history and reference section.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/32/32/

Dagsites-

http://www.dagsites.com/2002colors.htm

I just found this on a big site, 02 restoration

http://www.02restoration.com/body-and-trim/bmw-2002-restoration-and-paint-color-chart

thanks man, i've seen those. rob's is nice, but a little confusing and/or vague as far as model and years are concerned. perhaps i'm thinking more of a chart that goes by year, with subsets of models, with a list of colors for each model/year. guess it was different for each exporting country as well which makes it even more confusing. eh fuck it.

additionally, i thought having scans of original BMW literature would be cool for everyone to see and use on this site. i'd do it if i had some.

-ryan

i don't have access to a color scanner or i'd be happy to share my color brochure with the group. however, beware that the scanned colors and cool color displays referred above are only close estimates. true colors get lost in translation and are subject to the limitations of the computer screen.

i regret loosing my actual color sample collection i amassed during trips to the junkyards back in the 90's when 02's were commonly found therein. i would collect the small plate found in the trunk that would hold the long springy-rods on the trunklid. they were rarely covered with re-spray and did not suffer from sun fade. they could be had by removing two 10mm bolts and were a nice convenient size. i collected them like some folks save VIN tags.

as for the brochure, the colors included: Verona, Baikal, a dark green (not Agave), Florida, Bristol, Colorado, Chaminox, Sahara, a darker blue (can't remember), my least favorite 02 color - Schwartz (next to Siennabraun in ickiness). Fjord was not listed, btw.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa