• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Engineering 292 cams....from Schrick specs....

leonine99

Guest Anonymous

Saying "anyone can make any part for any car without fear of breaking any laws" is a bit like saying you can do anything you want - as long as you don't get caught and don't get prosecuted or punished.

I am making an Aston Martin Lagonda in my bathroom. Please keep it a secret!;P

The simple fact of the matter is that SCHRICK spent their own money and time developing this cam profile. They developed it, rigorously tested it, set up a production line, and sourced their cam blanks from a reputable source and marketed this cam. They also developed ancillary systems to go with their cam. None of this is cheap.

Ireland Engineering on the other hand don’t want to spend their own money. In fact they are begging for a cast off cam that they can copy without putting in any development work what so ever. I wonder where IE are going to source their cam blanks from? I wonder who is going to manufacture their cams for them? I wonder what quality controls are being put in place?

If I want a cheap cam I might as well buy it direct from China rather than pay extra to their middle man. I wonder which is the American way?

02tii 2751928 (2582)

The simple fact of the matter is that SCHRICK spent their own money and time developing this cam profile. They developed it, rigorously tested it, set up a production line, and sourced their cam blanks from a reputable source and marketed this cam. They also developed ancillary systems to go with their cam. None of this is cheap.

Ireland Engineering on the other hand don’t want to spend their own money. In fact they are begging for a cast off cam that they can copy without putting in any development work what so ever. I wonder where IE are going to source their cam blanks from? I wonder who is going to manufacture their cams for them? I wonder what quality controls are being put in place?

If I want a cheap cam I might as well buy it direct from China rather than pay extra to their middle man. I wonder which is the American way?

I gotta wonder the same thing... Jeff cant afford a $400 prototype to "crib" from? how serious is this venture anyway...

on the other hand, who would not line up for the finished product? the unspoken scandal here is why regrinds dont live up to serious virgin cam specs... i forget who but someone ( i believe his name was robert somebody) brought this up w/r/t/ tep... the scandal of total lift and base circle specs vis. regrind 02 cams...

Guest Anonymous

Your instincts may be good, but you are making an awful lot of unsupported assumptions. Besides, what you described, sounds more like the Chinese way. Last time I checked, lower cost of production or more available resources is typically what has been described as leading to unbridled capitalism. The countervailing balance are the myriad of intellectual property and unfair practices protections that have been discussed in this thread. As Toby might tell you if he wasn't developing a new clutch, its an imperfect situation that is far from black and white.

A coworker dabbles in the black art of combustion chamber design. He has collected a vast assortment of cylinder heads, some of which were the product of much heralded research. While you might treat his interest in obtaining these samples as a precursor to malicious copying, others might consider the possibility that he is only interested in learning from what is publicly available - possibly leading to an entirely different and improved design. (Knowing him as I do, it may likely lead to many trips to the metal recycler). Racers and business competitors do this all the time, with all kinds of recriminations but it also tends to make things for the better for the consumer.

How about the latest tire tread designs? Notice how quick the pack follows the leader with low-profile-aqua treads or reverse-anti-gravity-static-cling compounds? Who really knows (besides a certain renowned clutch designer) how these "revolutionary" new designs are obtained?

Don't get me started!

Then we agree.

BBS doesn't have a patent on the wheel, but only a(n) (artistic) design.

likewise, SCHRICK doesn't own "the cam" but might claim a manufacturing process or an alloy or could hold the profile "292" name but highly doubt they own the profile.

SCHRICK would have to prove they were the company that 'intellectually' created said profile over someone elses.

just run a quiry "292 cam profile" on yahoo for instance...point proven? SCHRICK doesn't own that profile.

I would still like to reiterate that IE should be careful of using SCHRICK's name in their adverts/promos....that could more realistically get them into trouble.

I think if it were that simple, IE could make their own 292 cam, but they are looking for a sample to copy (as has been said before). The problem stems from 292 not being the only feature of the cam, and IE wanting to make a duplicate.

I don't know how actively the good Doctor pursues his patent defense. I know some companies that are content to rest on their reputation and do not worry about reproduction as much, because they do not believe the replica to be of the same quality and the market will continue to support them. Other companies on the other hand aggressively pursue infringements on their intellectual property to protect their market share. Some companies will go after them on principal, some simply do not have the budget for a legal team, or find it not cost effective.

Has anyone been able to dig up any patents by Schrick?

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

oh-no, I completely understand what's being discussed.

I'll once again put it bluntly and say that I'll bet "SCHRICK doesn't own the cam"

But as far as I'm concerned, this is all a moot point if SCHRICK and EI aren't discussing this. ;^)

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!