• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm new to SNOW COUNTRY, what is the best cheap winter tire?

robspeed

Cheap tires... are well...cheap tires. Still far better than snow tires of 10-15 years ago.

Went with a set of Dunlop Graspic's once on a E30, did not compare to the Hakka 1's I had on the E36 M3.

In the M3, I could out drag race 4x4's and their "all seasons" during nasty snow storms... Loved it.. Good times.....

Yes you can find Hakka's cheaper if you shop around. Yes they KNOW snow tires. Their test track is north of the arctic circle... has to mean something.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

4 cheap new snow tires and 100 lbs of sand over the rear diff will beat anything short of 4 snows on a 4x4. This is what you do with the stock steelies when you buy them pimpin' alloys.

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

Drove my 02 daily for five years when stationed at Colorado Springs with a good set of all season mud and snow tires. 02's are excellent in the snow if driven with a bit of finese. After all they are from Germany, and were not put up in the barn when the flurries flew. Snow does no more harm than rain, it is the crap ie salt that some states use on the roads that do the damage. Colorado used pea sized gravel during my tenure...not real good for windshields or paint on the front of the car...but no rust. I just installed a Le Bra on the front and did not tailgate. If you have a Pep Boys in your area they used to have some pretty good deals on tires...read inexpensive.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell